Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Beer brew (larger), finings added how long before botteling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Beer brew (larger), finings added how long before botteling.

I have my first beer close to bottling. (Harris Lager). I added Beer Brite finings approx 8pm last night, how long should I leave before bottling?

How clear does the beer need to be before botteling? or does it clear further in the bottle?

Any help appreciated

Finnings usually take 24 to 48 hours to work effectively, you can bottle as soon as it looks clear, though when bottle conditioning it doesn't really matter how clear the beer is (though avoad heavy sediment) as secondary (bottle) fermentation will always cause a temporary clouding and sediment deposit.
    It will clear in the bottle and the amount of sediment remaining is usually due to the conditioning which cannot be avoided with home made bottled beer.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Just as an addition to the above, it can often pay to add a very small amount of sediment/yeast (about a teaspoon) back into the beer to ensure yeast presence before bottle ferment. Quite often finnings can remove all the active yeast which will result in an unconditioned beer.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

When Karl says one teaspoon, he means to the entire batch, not to each bottle.

When your lager is clear, rack it into another (sanitised) bucket with your priming sugar (amount as specified in your instructions) with the teaspoon of yeast. Then bottle from there. Cap your bottles and store somewhere warm for a couple of weeks, then stood upright somewhere cool.

Be careful when pouring the last bit. I find a large glass and a small bottle helps and do it all with one pour.

Putting the conditioning bottles inside a fermenting bucket can help contain any explosion or mishap if they are in the house.

Comment

Working...
        X