Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen grapes at last !!

Hi,

After a couple of years of testing and maybe a bit of nagging (you know who you are) I decided to step up to the plate!
    I have bought & borrowed & begged some freezers.
    Yesterday father and I produced the first serious batch..... and just in case here is the evidence

Frozen drums.jpg

I will be able to supply frozen crushed/destalked grapes across the UK. Dispatched overnight they will gently thaw out and be ready format fermentation in the next couple of days.

They will be in drums very similar to this.

25l jerry can.jpg

The plan is to have all of the red varieties available. White will come later.
    Having spoken to interlink (the courier company) - they will be £95 delivered to your door or £80 if you want to collect from me.

Finally can I just say - I will do my best for you ! This isn't a business, it's a hobby and I have a day job (that I need to keep ) so if sometimes I'm a little late replying to emails or you get the answerphone, please bear with me I will get back to you.

I hope this is good news. Please post your thoughts here - if you have any ideas that might make it easier they would be welcome too.

Logistically delivering frozen grapes to grapefest might be difficult ( but not necessarily impossible though) - I have to be very careful of my towing weights. It is just under 400 miles, and VOSA are very very keen on anybody towing.

Brian
    Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 10-09-2012, 05:21 PM.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

I have just run a lap of my office whooping and hollering. That is brilliant news Brian.

I spy Shiraz written on the drums

Rob

Comment

You do indeed - I didn't realise the photo was that good.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I have put together some FAQ for the frozen grapes. If you can think of some more questions please let me know...

Frozen grape FAQ v2.pdf
        Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 11-09-2012, 04:53 PM.

Comment

mmmmmm very interesting

I was just looking at a Shiraz kit with skin pack but this should be sooooooo much better.

Am I right in thinking I could reuse the skins in kit wines as well

What would you guess the finished quantity would be.

Thanks
          BrewTrax Stats

Comment

The nice thing about grapes is you can get two runs !! The original 'double bubble'
            You could run a 'second' - by that I mean just add watre and sugar and re-ferment. This would give you a rose.
            Some people add a small tin of red juice to the skins.
            You could also grab the skins to add to a completely separate kit.

Around 4.5 gallons after pressing I would think. And about the same again for your second run.

Comment

Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I like your FAQ, the only thing I would add is can you supply TA and PH for each varietal?

Some people might not have the equipment to test themselves or as I did at Grapefest last year, struggle to get accurate figures.

Comment

I am glad you've mentioned the FAQ I will update it. I cannot supply the TA and the pH for each varietal sorry. This is because it would be misleading. I am told that freezing and thawing can affect them and also how well you empty the drum etc etc.

Sorry

Comment

Very nice! thanks Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                      I cannot supply the TA and the pH for each varietal sorry. This is because it would be misleading. I am told that freezing and thawing can affect them and also how well you empty the drum etc etc.

Sorry
                      Well I did not know that!

The update looks good, I can't wait to have a go at these.

Comment

Brian, you have cheered me up no end!! Having been told by swmbo that I couldn't go to grapefest this year, I was resigned to making kits, WN1 and elderberry wine for another year. Now I am ELATED indeed that I shall be able to play with "proper" wine making.

http://markblades.com
                        Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
                        These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Are you taking orders now and if so what email address do we use as my fermenter is thirsty.

Thanks
                          BrewTrax Stats

Comment

Drop my a line on brian_peacock@yahoo.com.

Comment

Does anyone know where I can get some K1V-116 yeast from or a good alternative for the Shiraz grape. I've tried my LHBS and online shops but no joy.

Thanks
                              BrewTrax Stats

Comment

Working...
                              X