Kit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit question

My son bought a beer kit a couple of weeks ago and the girl in the shop told him to keep turning the bottles to lessen the sediment and help clear the beer.

I can't see any point in doing this, in fact it goes against all my instincts. I know to agitate the beer when I prime the bottles to help restart the secondary fermentation but surely turning the bottles daily will mix in the sediment. Am I wrong?

I'm not sure it is possible to lessen the sediment......where would it go?

I could be wrong but i am with you on this.....allow it to settle and compact

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by speedwobble View Post
      My son bought a beer kit a couple of weeks ago and the girl in the shop told him to keep turning the bottles to lessen the sediment and help clear the beer.

I can't see any point in doing this, in fact it goes against all my instincts. I know to agitate the beer when I prime the bottles to help restart the secondary fermentation but surely turning the bottles daily will mix in the sediment. Am I wrong?
      The only thing this would do is keep the sediment in supension so it would not drop out. Exactly what Bob says let it settle drop out and compact.
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Thanks guys. You know what it's like "The girl at the shop said to to it dad and I'm sure she knows best". LOL Sure what would us dads know.

Comment

Girl? Beer? Homebrew? hmmm.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Strange thing to say..you want the sediment to compact on the bottom of the bottle...motto...never believe everything you are told! The amount of bad advice I have been given by 'knowledgeable' staff in Aquarium shops over the years beggars belief, and all my fish would have died if I'd followed their instructions.
            Brewing: Black Rock Cider, Milestone Olde Home Wrecker, port wines
            Conditioning: Oranje Bock Bier, about 30 demijohns of wine of various types
            Drinking: Steam Beer, Czech Pilsner, Dark Ale, lots of wine, Moonshine

Comment

Working...
            X