Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which yeast for this years grapes and my intended pyment ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which yeast for this years grapes and my intended pyment ?

Another bucket emptied, so I should have at least 3 x 27 litre buckets for the 10 cases of grapes I'm hoping for

Anyway, during this afternoons efforts, a question of yeasts popped into my head.

I currently have :-

D21, K1V, D47, 71B, RC-212, EC-1118 but I also have some Redstar ones - Pasteur Champagne, Cotes des Blancs, Premier Cuvee and a single Montrachet.

Now I generally stick to the Lalvin types, mainly because of the published data etc i.e. I've got some idea about what is what....

If I did consider trying some of the redstar, It'd probably only be the Montrachet that's worth trying, so I'm thinking of sitting on the fence for caution, and probably K1V or D21 and possibly RC-212.

The general aim is for a high alcohol, fruity/dark as possible pyment, so I'm intending leaving the subsequent batches on the pulp/skins until they sink. The usual "cap management" will be carried out, at least until I hit whatever I decide the 1/3rd break might be.

Dunno how feasible this idea is, and want to be careful as it's my first attempt with "real" grapes, as opposed to supermarket grape juice.....

Any ideas, suggestions or other guidance are, as ever, greatly appreciated.

Pip pip!
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Fruity = K1V-1116 I reckon

it will also go high alc

Montrachet might be an option, but it has nutrient needs above others, so not sure for a pyment it would be good?
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 16-09-2012, 09:06 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Those are my thoughts also.

AFAIK mead isn't naturally high in nutrients anyway, so RC-212 may be asking for trouble.
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
      X