Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panic not!

I don't think it is stuck.

Most of my GF fermentations stop around this SG. Have a taste. Can you taste any residual sugar?

(scuttles off to find notes, specifically GF SGs )
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• I couldn't taste any sugar in either container, just a lot of tannin

If there is any sugar left, which technically there could be, can I get away with not using sorbate?

I don't like using it and stopped using it in kits that had fermented to dry and I have never sweetened anything.

Comment

• I wouldn't use sorbate in anything which could undergo MLF.

I believe this can result in unpleasantness (i.e written-off wine).

My theory is that, if the wine has been sat for several weeks, maybe months, at fermentation-friendly temperatures whilst undergoing MLF, any alcoholic fermentation which could take place, will almost certainly take place.
        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• This probably should go in the Virgin's Guide
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• My tempranillo seems to be hovering around 1.004 and is very very slowly bubbling and with about 5 inches of airspace in the carboy I am getting worried about needing to top up with the shop bought stuff I got...

Tastes nice, and I didn't do MLF but it's still a bit of a worry...!

Comment

• I'd would be thinking that the carboy needs topping up just to be on the safe side. Maybe someone else could comment.

After Simons revelation that he will not add sulphite to his wine until next spring has made me even more unsure of what is "best practice" these days

Pete - Yes putting that in the Virgins Guide would be a good idea, I didn't know that.

Cheers

Comment

• Indeed! But Pete rightly pointed out the potential problem of adding shop bought wine containing sulphites to a fermenting batch so I appear to be a bit stuck as to what to do! Maybe there's a gap in the market for 'medium sweet red wine'!

If this was a wine kit I wouldn't be concerned about the headspace in the carboy (I did all the paklabs/ amazon kits in buckets OK) but is there something about fresh grape wine that makes it turn to vinegar as soon as you look away? (A bit like the Dr. Who statues that move when you close your eyes!!!)

Comment

• That is a good point about adding shop bought wine. Are you doing a 2nd run? If you are you could use that.

The Weeping Angels Don't Blink was one of my favourite episodes. One of the scariest Dr Who monsters ever!

Comment

• Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                    After Simons revelation that he will not add sulphite to his wine until next spring has made me even more unsure of what is "best practice" these days
                    Cheers
                    Just to clarify, unless I sense something is amiss. . In your position I think I would leave it now until the spring, monitor closely and see what happens.

Adding a little shop bought wine into a 5 gallon batch I think would be OK in small quantities. After all yeast like a small amount of sulphite - it is a natural by product of fermentation and is far more likely to harm nasties rather than the yeast itself.

BTW, I agree with the whole weeping angels thing but the scariest fictional villain for me was in Blakes 7. A vague memory but they were trying to protect something called the Orac (a kind of (talking??) fish tank full of wires). There was some form of android that would let nothing get in its way to try and get to this. Lots of 'Where is Orac' chanting etc. Scared me silly, nightmares for years.

Anyway back to topic. If it really tastes too sweet for your liking and fermentation has genuinely finished (wait till next spring to be sure) then I would be tempted to make up a 5 gallon batch of WN2 or a kit (e.g. California Connoisseur as it worked for me), ferment it bone dry with K1V or similar, do a few bench trials and blend when ready. In fact, do this anyway in preparation - what have you got to lose?
                    Last edited by SiSandrine; 30-10-2012, 09:21 PM.
                    Simon
                    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Thank you gentlemen for the advice, i'll top up and forget about it until spring then. Will be glad to get it out of the way to be honest...

I'll try not to have nightmares!!!

Comment

• Putting it to bed till spring....

- Are you still intending to rack at some stage?
                        - Unsulphited it will 'wake up' in spring. Much like the rest of the world
                        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                          - Are you still intending to rack at some stage?
                          Yes - good point Brian assuming you racked off the 3" lees already Daniel, that's why you need to top up. I wouldn't leave it till spring on that.
                          Simon
                          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Just for the record I will rack twice before spring.
                            Once, like you say off gross lees (a couple weeks after pressing) and then again just after Christmas when it's really F. cold. By this time I find the wine has had chance to stabilise, MLF is definitely done, sulphite has been added, gravity has done some clearing and a good chill has hopefully trimmed down the tartaric acid. Which can be racked out before it warms up again and re-dissolves.
                            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Yes gents i have now racked and topped up with the shop bought stuff... Thanks all for help!

Comment

Working...
                              X