Grapefest 2012 Ferments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian

I have turned the heater off and the fermenters are in an unheated garage but the temperature is still 30c.

What can happen if it stays above 30c?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
      What can happen if it stays above 30c?
      30 is fine. 32 is probably ok as well (depends on the yeast strain you are using), but I wouldn't let it get any warmer than that, because too hot temps can cause the yeast to shut down.
      Steve

Comment

Pete, would you just add tartaric to make it taste sharper or would you aim for a specific number?
        I'm not Pete, either, but I would also suggest using numbers - for the simple reason that when you have must/juice with 25% sugar, it's virtually impossible to get an accurate bead on the acidity by taste alone. I like to measure pH myself, with whites being in the 3.3-3.5 pH range, and reds at 3.5-3.7. If it's in the ballpark, pitch the yeast. You can always fine tune it later.
        Last edited by NorthernWiner; 25-09-2012, 09:01 PM.
        Steve

Comment

I'm trying to get my cap temperatures UP to 30c
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Merlot 25 Brix & SG1100 very dark colour.
            Tempranilo 21 Brix & SG1082 good colour.
            As soon as I got home on Sunday 10-30 ish put them on heating pads.
            Pitched yeast Gervin No.2 starter after dinner.
            Added oak & off it went. Big cap by tea time.
            Last night tasted both.
            Merlot tasted very moldy ?
            Temp. tasted fine.

Silverfox

Comment

currently winery temp is 11 deg

30 deg is but a dream

need some heaters
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                30 is fine. 32 is probably ok as well (depends on the yeast strain you are using), but I wouldn't let it get any warmer than that, because too hot temps can cause the yeast to shut down.
                The yeast is Vintners Harvest R56 and according to the literature it's optimal temperature range is 22c-30c. The fermenter is now unheated, has no insulation and sat in a 14c garage. I'm punching the 12" thick cap twice a day.

Comment

I'm not Pete, either, but I would also suggest using numbers - for the simple reason that when you have must/juice with 25% sugar, it's virtually impossible to get an accurate bead on the acidity by taste alone. I like to measure pH myself, with whites being in the 3.3-3.5 pH range, and reds at 3.5-3.7. If it's in the ballpark, pitch the yeast. You can always fine tune it later.
                  Yay! Steve you and I are singing from the same hymn sheet We seem to be in the minority.

Comment

He he! still no numbers, more "seat of the pants" fermentation.....

Anyway, just pressed down the cap on my 4 buckets, making sure that there was signs of the liquid at the top before putting lids back on.

As I'm planning on leaving the pulp in until it sinks, at what point should I stop cap management ? and could I "over do it" ?

Being new to this "real grapes" lark means that I have a number of "numpty" questions......

The caps on all the buckets are rising etc, yet the only one that's bubbling the airlock is the single box of tempranillo in the 10 litre bucket. Not worried though, as it's either just that the larger quantities are lagging a bit (same amount of yeast in all 4 buckets) or rubbish bucket seals......

Hence the presumption that it's all moving along well.

I'm gonna try and take a gravity reading this evening, though I appreciate just getting to some of the liquid might be a bit of a pain......
                    Last edited by fatbloke; 26-09-2012, 07:00 AM.
                    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                      30 deg is but a dream
                      Heaters or blankets? Place a small thermostatic electric radiator between two fermenters set on its lowest setting, then cover both in the same blanket (s). Think: kids den.
                      Turn the heat off at 24, and blankets come off at 26 - this will normally spike to 30-32 and then normally maintains a steady 27-28. The high temp spike helps with colour extraction.
                      Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 26-09-2012, 07:54 AM.
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

... when you have must/juice with 25% sugar, it's virtually impossible to get an accurate bead on the acidity by taste alone.
                        Speaking as the other non Pete. Absolutely agree.
                        I think there has been some confusion I have always been referring to tasting the wine not the must.
                        IMO leave it alone in the must and deal with it in the wine (by taste) if it is still a problem.

Does that make sense Pete
                        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Temps have settled back down to sensible numbers this morning after looking like a nuclear reactor on meltdown yesterday afternoon and evening.

Merlot 22c, Tempranillo 26c, Monte 25c.

Last night I was punching down every 15mins trying to release the heat.

The cap temperature on the Tempranillo (yeast RC212) peaked at 38c but dropped back to 35c once it was punched down. The must looked like it was on a rolling boil at that point.
                          The Merlot (yeast Vintners R56) cap was about 34c at its highest with a must temp of 32c.
                          Monte (yeast BDX) hasn't got above 29c.

Hope I haven't caused any problems with the high temps. All ferments are audibly fizzing still so I don't think I've murdered any yeasties, more worried about problems caused by stressing them.

Comment

.... All ferments are audibly fizzing ......
                            I had some fizzing last night - when I added my oak to the Tempranillo - some of it was still burning.

Comment

Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

The cap temperature on the Tempranillo (yeast RC212) peaked at 38c but dropped back to 35c once it was punched down. The must looked like it was on a rolling boil at that point.
                                The Merlot (yeast Vintners R56) cap was about 34c at its highest with a must temp of 32c.
                                Monte (yeast BDX) hasn't got above 29c.

Hope I haven't caused any problems with the high temps. All ferments are audibly fizzing still so I don't think I've murdered any yeasties, more worried about problems caused by stressing them.
                                As long as it doesn't smell of rotten eggs or dog farts, you are fine.

The high temps will help you get good extraction, especially with lighter body varietals like tempranillo.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X