Black Cherry Port 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Cherry Port 2012

My first attempt at this is a 9l version using...

2 x Youngs Black Cherry Kits
    Leftover skins from 5 boxes of pre-fermented tempranillo (with quite a lot of juice in to be honest)
    1kg sugar (so far)
    20g Medium Toasted Oak
    Vintners Harvest SN9 Yeast
    1 tsp Youngs Nutrient (basically DAP)

I got the kits going strong for a couple of days before adding the skins, then basically tipped the skins into the already fermenting kits... And am doing the usual cap punching routine (but blimey it's getting hot in there this time round so I think I need to do it more often than three times a day!)

A few questions if I may,

About how long do I leave the skins in for this time?
    Could I add more oak (don't know what I'm doing with oak really and don't want to over do it but happily put a 'good' quantity in - just don't know what that is!)
    Will it need more nutrient or will the skins take care of that side of things?

Help/ thoughts appreciated once again!

Hi Daniel

If you go by Pete (Goldseals) method as per his GF talk, leave the skins in until the first racking at about SG1.010 when you will need to do the first sugar feed and transfer to djs and get under airlock.

The oak is apparently not going to add much to the port at that sort of quantity during fermentation. I believe, and correct me someone if I'm wrong but, a better method for oaking is to add about 15g per gallon after fermentation is finished and taste weekly/fortnightly until you are happy with the taste. Adding some oak during fermentation can be benificial to the ferment although I can't remember exactly why.

Personally I would have said yes to nutrient as the nutrients that would naturally occur would probably have been used up during the original ferment.

I'm planning on getting my Black Cherry Port started this week sometime to.

Rob

Comment

Daniel, basically what Rob said

Your recipe looks pretty good, although there isn't a 'right' recipe. Mine isn't far off:

1 x Youngs kit
      Sugar to 1.097 ish
      1 tsp Tronozymol
      1/2 sachet Gervin GV4(26)
      Leave for 1 day to get yeast going, then add ...
      2 boxes of lightly pressed Merlot skins

It'll probably ferment really fast because the skins are full of hungry yeast, so it should get down to 1.010 quickly. A fast fermentation also means lots of heat and a strong cap, so punch away

I haven't oaked at this stage, but there is no reason why you can't. My feeling is that this is a light, fruity port and only requires a little oak.

I think we should all bring a taster bottle to GF2013 .
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

My Black Cherry kit is still in the tin

Thinking of maybe making it with red grape juice and sugar, maybe even some glycerine too.

Comment

Just a warning: I am seeing 11 Brix in the BCP, which equates to an SG of around 1.018 ish.

It is fermenting REALLY fast, and will need racking and pressing soon.

Don't let the fermentation burn up all the sugar, otherwise you might struggle to keep it going.
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

Thanks guys! I forgot some of the finer points of your presentation Pete so hence the questions!

OK, will check the gravity, and proceed with caution, will look at nutrient and oak post ferment, I am loving this second run thing as much as the first! Need a better way of pressing skins though!!!

Comment

I will try to get the presentations up onto youtube soon
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

That wasn't a hint Bob, I'm sure sure you have enough to do (but thanks anyway!)

Comment

Brix is getting on for 8! (though don't solids in the sample throw it out?) I'll whack some more sugar in then rack and press tomorrow!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
                    That wasn't a hint Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Pressed at 1.004. Sugar added to 1.027 ish. Now I have 5 litres of must under airlock (which I'm hoping will start bubbling slowly in a couple of hours).
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

Very similar numbers here. 'Pressed' at about 1.010 (threw in 300g sugar last night to keep it ticking over) added another 380 after pressing to get to about 1.030 and it's started bubbling!

Was surprised to only get 10l out which means I only left 1l in the skins from the first run, given the 9l was from the kits I used.

It's in a 'holding' fermenter until I free up some glass which I know I need to do quick - never expected it to be so fast!

Had a little taste - it's like alcoholic black forest gateaux!

Comment

Just started my Blackcherry Port.

1Tin Youngs Blackcherry
                          1 litre RGJ (used some with yeast starter and then put rest in fermenter)
                          600g sugar
                          Lalvin K1V-1116 yeast
                          1/2 tsp Nutrivin
                          Water to 5.5 litres
                          SG1.093

Will add Merlot skins tomorrow night once ferment is under way.

Question for Pete or Rich, do you need to add acid or tannin? I can't believe there would be sufficient of either in the juice or reused skins.

Rob

Comment

I have just checked my notes and I have never added either to my Black Cherry Ports.

I would leave any such adjustments to the end.
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

Ok, thanks Pete.

Comment

Working...
                              X