No announcement yet.

Black Cherry Port 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threw a couple of kgs of Montepulciano skins into the Blackcherry Port to top up the fermenter. SG1.035 so should have another couple of days before needing to press skins and transfer to DJ.

Comment

Got mine into glass last night and added some more sugar. I am still bubbling so am happy!

Does anyone know what total sugar (per litre or gallon) we would aim for to reach 18% (finishing dry)? My calculations are all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
        Does anyone know what total sugar (per litre or gallon) we would aim for to reach 18% (finishing dry)? My calculations are all over the place.
        That will depend on what your SG figure was to start with. You need 18g of sugar per litre of must to make 1% alcohol so in total you need 18gX9litresx18%. The Blackcherry kit obviously has sugar in it which is where your starting SG comes in handy.

If you started at about SG1.080, approx 12% potential alcohol, you need to add about 1kg sugar more to get to 18%.

To do this accurately you need the starting SG and the SG before and after the sugar additions and calculate the drop in SG each time.

Hope that helps.
        Last edited by robwrx; 05-10-2012, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Cheers Rob, that's along the same lines as my way of thinking. I'm measuring the sg each time but just trying to keep an eye on the maths too...

Comment

I just calculate the alcohol from the SG drop, and sum each one (like Rob). I meant to put that slide in the presentation, but I forgot .

Just sugar-fed mine, from 1.010 to 1.042. I know this is higher than I recommended, but as of Wednesday I'll be unable to sugar feed it for 8 days. Thus I'm upping the basic SG each feed, then hoping it'll keep going until a week Thursday.
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Pressed at SG1.006 and got just under 7 litres. Added 440g sugar to get SG back up to 1.030 and after a couple of hours the airlocks are blooping.

Comment

Down to about 1.010 so another 240g gone in... Still bubbling! Got to be nearly finished now!

Comment

Did the 3rd and probably last sugar feed last night. Alcohol, if my maths is correct, is at 16.7% and the fermentation rate has slowed a lot. After adding 350g of sugar I saw no signs of fermenting at all and thought I had a stuck ferment. This morning I am relieved to see some bubbles rising but they are going much slower.

Comment

SG 1.014. Still going strong. Will sugar feed again in a couple of days. Alcohol content now 15.5% and its starting to taste a little hotter. Nice.
                    Simon
                    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

BCP still has bubbles rising but the SG has been static at 1.022 for over a week so I guess it has finished. Haven't worked out the ABV yet but it must be around 17%. Now need to buy some Brandy.

Comment

I'm doing mine today: SG static for a couple of weeks, at around 17%.

Beware if buying supermarket brandy: much of the cheap stuff is less than 40%, so you might be getting less alcohol than you think.
                        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                          Beware if buying supermarket brandy: much of the cheap stuff is less than 40%, so you might be getting less alcohol than you think.
                          Yes indeed. I remember from 2 years ago that it makes for some mind bending potential alcohol / cost calculations.
                          Simon
                          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Thanks for the tip chaps! I shall check before I buy.

Comment

Mine is going to be oaked tonight. Racked out of primary yesterday (yes primary). I have one that you can insert an airlock into. Lots of CO2 still covering it, still nice and fresh.

3 gallons in total. Now, what am I going to do with 3 gallons of port (in 2014).

answer: drink and share it.
                              Simon

Comment

after the yeasties die from the high level of a alcohol, what sg should the port be?

Comment

Working...
                                X