Black Cherry Port 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All depends on personal taste....

I like mine at around 1.030 - 1.040 some like it much higher, if sugar additions are very large, then acidity may well need adjustment or the result will be cloying

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I've added grape skins to black cherry port kit. Do you think I need a can of rgc?

Comment

How far are you through the fermentation? Feeding with RGC would be an alternative to sugar feeding
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I'm at 1.01 just added a can on rgc and now its 1.03. The plan is to re feed once at 1.01 to 1.03 until cement stops. Does that sound good?

Comment

Mike, probably a bit late to reply but yes that is the approved method. Fermentation rate seems to slow as the level of alcohol increases so just keep feeding to SG1.030 when SG drops to 1.010.

Degassed and added sulphite and Sorbate tonight and will put away until it finishes dropping sediment.

Comment

I'm planning on entering my Black Cherry Port into the local summer show in August and thought I'd better get on and finish it. It has been sweetened to SG1.030 and fortified with a drop of Brandy.

I am also oaking some of it in an attempt to hide it's youthfulness as it will only be 10 months old in August.

A quick question for the resident experts. Do I need to add any further sulphite or will the high level of alcohol preserve it?

Comment

I pasted this into my copy of the recipe some time ago, so I don't rememebr where I found it. Not sure if it is correct, but better safe than sorry I suppose.
                "You must add sulfur dioxide to Port-style high-alcohol wines. Even though ethanol is a great antimicrobial agent, there are some Lactobacilli bacteria that thrive in a high-alcohol, high-sugar environment and can spoil the appearance of your wine by producing colonies in the bottle that look like wads of hair. Luckily, these Lactobacilli (L.fructivorans is the main culprit) are really sensitive to sulfur dioxide and so will not be a problem if you use 40 ppm sulfur dioxide just as you would in table wine production."
                Cheers,
                Dave.
                If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
                But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Thanks for that Dave, I'll add another dose of So2 before bottling.

Comment

Working...
                  X