Elderflower wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderflower wine

I was thinking of trying a go at the elderflower wine. Are the flowers ok to pick now, just straight from the trees?

Best to pick flowers when they are full of honey.

Look for the bees swarming and you will have the best flowers.

Comment

Elderflowers

Best tip around is to select your florets from trees that have white elderflowers, these don't have the "catty" smell and make the best wine. Also, to test to see if ready just brush a flret over the back of your hand and if the pollen sticks to the hairs the florets are ready.
      To seperate them from the stalks, place in a plastic bag and seal, leave for 24 hours then just shake the bag and hey presto the tiny flowers fall off!!
      C&H,
      TC

Comment

wow, thats a good tip, wish I read that this summer. I ended up getting fed up of sperating the flowers from the green stems and some of the green ended up in the must. Now I have a wine which has the green elderflower tree smell...Not good and I dont think I can get rid of it Oh well lessons learnt and all that

Comment

Originally posted by Mindscape100 View Post
          wow, thats a good tip, wish I read that this summer. I ended up getting fed up of sperating the flowers from the green stems and some of the green ended up in the must. Now I have a wine which has the green elderflower tree smell...Not good and I dont think I can get rid of it Oh well lessons learnt and all that
          Have a look through Luc Volders blog (you have to scroll down for the English translation).

He's done a number of articles on quite common "hedge row" type materials i.e. elderberries, elderflower and the like, but also commonly available fruit like apples, plums etc etc and some excellent technical articles as well.

You'll have to dig through it though as he's been writing it for some time and as it's done, seemingly, with blogger, there's no real search facility (just looked and he's done an index from a different site, but that should help some).

regards

jtfb
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
          X