Ancient Joe would turn in his grave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Joe would turn in his grave

Forgive me JHB for I have sinned ( in the name of research )

Yesterday I made up my second batch of Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange and Spice Mead. sticking to the recipe apart from fresh yeast and two cloves instead of one.

2am this morning I woke up in a sweat - sat bolt upright in bed - "why not make some mead from syrup and see if there is a difference!! '

You may recall I have a bucket of syrup, and up until this point I have had nothing to do with it.

Are we going to run a book on how we think it will come out?

Answers gentlemen please..........
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Syrup?

what sort of syrup (i've missed a memo obviously )
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Mix with figs to make a delicious hair wine.
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Well, the outcome could vary Brian. If you looked more closely at.the world of mead, there are two things to note, some speciality syrups are already used, more specifically, "Acerglyn" is mead made.with honey and maple syrup.......

And secondly, as far as I'm aware, Joe Mattioli isn't dead. He still posts occasionally over at Gotmead, last seen about August last....
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956
          Syrup?
          Syrup.jpg

Originally posted by SiSandrine
          Mix with figs to make a delicious hair wine
          i too have missed a memo somehwere
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
            Well, the outcome could vary Brian. If you looked more closely at.the world of mead, there are two things to note, some speciality syrups are already used, more specifically, "Acerglyn" is mead made.with honey and maple syrup.......

And secondly, as far as I'm aware, Joe Mattioli isn't dead. He still posts occasionally over at Gotmead, last seen about August last....

A complete faux pas. I mis-interpreted the title as a 'days gone by' recipe attributed to Joe. Sorry Joe.

I guessed others would have fermented syrup, I thought it an ideal time to try - side by side.
            Can you recommend an syrup recipes.
            PS I also have an abundance of molasses. Hmmm ... and apple paste.

Comment

Update:

I have just bottled both a standard honey and the syrup made.
              They were both made at the same time with the same ingredients & the same yeast.

The honey is as expected and very good the syrup however is outstanding. Perhaps a slightly cleaner taste and has for some reason taken on more orangey flavour. It is also finished a little sweeter.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                Update:

I have just bottled both a standard honey and the syrup made.
                They were both made at the same time with the same ingredients & the same yeast.

The honey is as expected and very good the syrup however is outstanding. Perhaps a slightly cleaner taste and has for some reason taken on more orangey flavour. It is also finished a little sweeter.
                Well done on a good result then Brian. I suspect one would still be considered as a spiced mead but t'other would be considered a spiced orange wine......

Not surprised to read that the syrup version is sweeter and slightly more orangey though. After all, it doesn't have the non-sugar part of the bee vomit in it ;-D

I've been thinking about doing one with a laboratory stirrer, just too see how much drier it turns out. Might have to try both versions now.......
                Last edited by fatbloke; 13-05-2013, 12:07 PM.
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

spiced orange wine......
                  That is a very good description!

Comment

Working...
                  X