Summer Fruits (Boo's Blend)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Fruits (Boo's Blend)

This is the first time I have posted a recipe as I still consider myself a beginner (just completed my fourth batch) but I am so pleased with the outcome of this particular wine I thought I would share it. This is my own recipe, a mix of what I have learnt so far and a little experimentation.

Recipe: Boo’s Blend (Summer Fruits)
    Ingredients: Per Gallon
    3 x 455g Bags of Ross Summer Fruits (Frozen, from Farm Foods. £0.90p each, includes- strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, cherries, redcurrants).
    ¾ Litre Pressed Grape Juice (£0.69p Morrisons)
    3lb Sugar
    1 tsp Tartaric Acid
    1 Vitamin B1 tablet
    1 tsp Pectolase
    Yeast & Nutrient
    Quarter stick of Cinnamon, crushed. (optional).

Recipe:
    Defrost fruit, add to fermenting bucket and mash the fruit. Pour over ¾ Gallon of near-boiling water. Stir in sugar and add grape juice. Top-up to just over a gallon with water. Leave to cool and then add other ingredients (except cinnamon). Ferment pulp for 5 days, stirring daily. Strain into DJ and add cinnamon. Fit air-lock and ferment out until bubbles have almost stopped or SG falls to .990, rack and add one crushed Campden Tablet, 2x tsp of Stabilising Powder and half a cup of water with x 6 tsp of dissolved sugar. Leave to mature for two months in DJ and then rack again, leave for one more month and then bottle.

When it came to bottling (yesterday), the wine was almost crystal-clear. It tasted fresh & fruity with a soft, warm aroma- I think the cinnamon helped with the aroma. The wine was balanced and I was amazed at how well it tasted at such an early stage. I will leave it for next summer before drinking.
    Last edited by Boo; 16-07-2006, 11:57 AM.
    Boo

Thanks for sharing Boo

I looked at those bags of fruit and thought about it.....I will def give it a go now

cheers
    Bob

p.s. I moved the thread to here...hope you don't mind
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Sounds brill, boo. I'll definitely give this one a go.
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Hey Boo,

Figured I'd have a go at this - got three bags of frozen summerfruits from Morrisons, bit more expensive (£1.30 a bag for 500g), strawbs, blueberrys, raspberrys, cherries, blackberrys and redcurrents. Apart from Bob's tinned strawberry (still in secondary) this'll be a departure from the juice wines for me. Looks good mate, thanks for the steer.

Comment

Originally posted by mav617 View Post
          Hey Boo,

Figured I'd have a go at this - got three bags of frozen summerfruits from Morrisons, bit more expensive (£1.30 a bag for 500g), strawbs, blueberrys, raspberrys, cherries, blackberrys and redcurrents. Apart from Bob's tinned strawberry (still in secondary) this'll be a departure from the juice wines for me. Looks good mate, thanks for the steer.
          Great recipe Mav I took a first in the novice rose at the Yorkshire show in June with this, and a second at this months Pontefract circle meeting. A nice easy drinking wine
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
            Great recipe Mav I took a first in the novice rose at the Yorkshire show in June with this, and a second at this months Pontefract circle meeting. A nice easy drinking wine
            Cheers DB, it's now in secondary and nearly finished, will check SG and bottle at the weekend. SG is around .998 now and it tastes dry - what's the best way to sweeten, can I add sugar direct once it's stablilised or do i need to disolve sugar into a syrup first?

Comment

It will blend easier if dissolved into a syrup, but if you get the chance try some wine sweetner, it's mixed with glycerine and gives a superior mouthfeel to the wine.
              Discount Home Brew Supplies
              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
              X