Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grape growing in the NE Scotland?

250-spanish 2.jpg

If I was to plan ahead and plant some grape vines would somthing like Pinot Noir do anything under this type of open ended polytunnel in Scotland? Most of the soft fruit grown here is now grown under this type of cover, with great results.
    Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

Indoor grapes did well this year. They like poly's as long as they get enough ventilation. Consider the direction of the wind and perhaps also the include of the land.

Stuart at the vinehouse can advise of vine stock, but I would recommend a hybrid that is disease resistant to minimize the spraying!
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

If ventilation is a problem what about inflatable polytunnels? http://airstreaminnovations.com/index.php

Comment

Blimey I bet they are expensive I am not sure the gain is ventilation, surely it is a build benefit?

Ventilation is not a problem, it is something that needs to be considered. Mildew is something you just need to guard against (or use more copper)
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

To buy or to run?
          A San Diego scientist developed a new growing process he hopes will change farming practices worldwide. KPBS reporter Peggy Pico says it produces great tasti...

Comment

Hum? So would the counter pressure of a half decent wind deflate the tunnel, defeating the object of the exercise ?

Or would you be better placed using the fan idea on a framed poly tunnel ???
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
              Hum? So would the counter pressure of a half decent wind deflate the tunnel, defeating the object of the exercise ?

Or would you be better placed using the fan idea on a framed poly tunnel ???
              That would be my concern too and how it copes with snow, they claim it can withstand wind and snow. The metal hoops are what makes a tunnel expensive, so should be cheaper to build. I think I also read that they claim to never have condensation on the inside of the plastic.

Back to the original question will grapes grow in cold sunny Aberdeenshire under a plastic cover, or would I be wasting my time?

Comment

Originally posted by Abervin View Post
                Back to the original question will grapes grow in cold sunny Aberdeenshire under a plastic cover, or would I be wasting my time?
                How many were you thinking? I would say yes, but to be sure you could research if someone on the same latitude is doing the same? Also consider a bumper crop is two bottles per vine!

Comment

Not too many in case they don't grow well, but enough to make....... a case of wine if they do!

So maybe 6 - 12 vines.

Would it be prudent to try several varieties?

Comment

The short answer is no I wouldn't, could you probably won't have enough of anything to do anything sensible with.
                    Where you thinking red or white?

Comment

I was thinking that way too.

My penchant is for red wine, hence mentioning Pinot Noir, our soil may not be suitable though as I think it prefers chalky soil?

I should speak to The Vine House to see if and what they have supplied to my area.

Comment

Originally posted by Abervin View Post
                        I should speak to The Vine House to see if and what they have supplied to my area.
                        That is a good idea! Stuart is always very helpful.

White will be easier that red. I have a good friend in the village who insists on bringing his white grapes round for me to make into wine. Blah!! he always gets a good crop they are in a poly tunnel and very well tended.
                        Even down south, white is a more popular grape to grow than red. To get the best out of red ( oops black) grapes you really need heat and sunshine. I had 50 Regent vines outside (up until recently) and was generally disappointed by them.

Comment

What variety are the white grapes and more importantly is the wine any good from them?

Could always buy one of these http://www.vinesmart.com/ plenty to choose from.......now where was that winning loto ticket

Comment

Seyval. Nice if you like white.

Comment

Ortega, solaris and particularly phoenix grapes make very good white wine and are disease resistant and easy to grow, although solaris needs a lot of pruning as it grows like a triffid

regards
                              bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                              X