Oak Barrel Group Buy!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak Barrel Group Buy!!!!!!!

In my “I’ve just ordered my first oak barrel” thread, Rich expressed an interest and mentioned a group buy. I’ve been involved with group buys on other forums and it is a good way to negotiate a bulk discount on something that can be quite an expensive purchase.

I have spoken to the barrel maker I’ve ordered my barrel from and it would be possible to get some discount on his Oak Barrels for a bulk buy. The discount would be 20% (basically he will not charge the VAT) which is quite a good saving on what appears to be a fairly good price already but, and it is quite a big but, we need to raise an order for 20 barrels!

He will make any size and toast to your requirements. They would be made from old French Oak wine barrels that he strips down and uses the wood to make a smaller size barrel.

A 20 litre barrel after discount is £140
    A 45 litre barrel after discount is £160

In North America a large number of home winemakers use barrels for small quantity wine making of both fresh/frozen grapes and kits. There are a number of threads on the Winepress forum regarding barrel use and benefits, some people have said that it can even reduce or eliminate kit taste, but all comments point to the improved quality of barrel aged wine.

I hope you don’t mind me quoting you Steve (NorthernWiner), I recently asked if oak barrels really made a difference and his reply was “If I didn't believe they made a difference, I wouldn't have bought a half dozen. Glass is much less expensive. I have had the same wine aged in both barrels and glass. The glass aged wine tends to be harsher and contains quite a bit of dissolved CO2 gas, even after aging for a year. By contrast, barrel aged wine is softer, has a more "round" mouthfeel, and is less acidic. Or at least that's my perception.”

It was that sort of comment by a well respected winemaker that convinced me that getting a barrel is the next step in improving the quality of my wine.

At this stage I’m looking for people to express an interest in buying a barrel or two to see if we can make this happen. You are not committing yourself to buying anything yet. Once we get enough people on board and we can place an order I will then be asking people to commit. It will still be about 8 weeks from that point for the barrels to be made so plenty of time to save up/convince SWMBO/arrange divorce etc.

If you have any questions post them on here and I will see if I can get them answered for you or if you already have barrels, feel free to contribute answers and information.

If you are interested, cut and paste the list below into your reply to the thread and add your forum name and size of barrel you are interested in.

1. robwrx 20 litre

1. robwrx 20 litre
    2. SleepyDave 45 litre
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

what is the next size up?
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
        what is the next size up?
        I believe the cooper can make virtually any size you like up to and I believe including 225 litres.

Tell me what size you would like and I will ask the question Brian.

Comment

Now here's the problem. I don't want anything too big to handle, but equally not too small 100 L perhaps.

I have made an OAKERY - this is a 54 L carboy with lots of staves poked in the top. Massive success really pleased with it and I was actually toying with the idea of buying a small floaty top tank for this purpose.

I also have some bizarre ideas for micro-oxidisation in HDPE with oak.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I'll find out what 100 litre barrel will cost.

Comment

Rob, I don't mind the quote.

Question - does Mr Simms toast his barrels, and does he offer various levels of toast?

I also have some bizarre ideas for micro-oxidisation in HDPE with oak.
              You mean like this?
              Durable Wine Making Tanks, Grape Picking Bins and Essentials You'll Need to Make Your Own Wine, Mead or Other Beverage. Tanks, Picking Bins and More.
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                Question - does Mr Simms toast his barrels, and does he offer various levels of toast?
                Good point Steve. Yes, I understand from the conversations I've had with him, he does and can offer different levels of toast.
                Last edited by robwrx; 31-01-2013, 11:22 PM.

Comment

1. robwrx 20 litre
                  2. SleepyDave 45 litre
                  3. Rich 20 litre

How much is delivery? or can they be delivered?

I'm quite tempted by the new american oak 20 litre if he'd do the same discount.

Comment

Just FYI...

Since Brian started a new thread on HDPE tanks, I removed that conversation from this thread. That should allow Rob to keep better track of his barrel order.
                    Steve

Comment

1. robwrx 20 litre
                      2. SleepyDave 45 litre
                      3. Rich 20 litre
                      4. Fatbloke 45 litre (medium to heavy toasted)
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Now here's the problem. I don't want anything too big to handle, but equally not too small 100 L perhaps.
                        Brian, the answer is £240.

Mr Simms is not the fastest person to answer e-mails but we got there.....

Comment

Yikes. Does that include delivery and VAT?

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                            1. robwrx 20 litre
                            2. SleepyDave 45 litre
                            3. Rich 20 litre
                            4. Fatbloke 45 litre (medium to heavy toasted)
                            Long way off 20 barrels..

Comment

Yikes. Does that include delivery and VAT?
                              Includes Vat but not delivery.

I haven't worked out what to do about delivery as I was going to see what interest we had and where people are. Thoughts I had were I could arrange delivery from work at cost price, deliver a quantity (cheaper) to someone up country and people collect, take them up to Grapefest, and any other ideas that people might have.

Comment

Working...
                              X