Yeast - temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast - temperature

For the first time ever I have not been able to re-start a fermentation. My cider stopped fermenting because the temperature fell so much - temperature of liquid was only 8C (I live in a fridge it seems). I stuck the heating belt on, got it up to temperature, gave it a stir, but the gravity didn't drop at all over the next 6 days (1.020). Anway, I added some more cider yeast and now it's frothing away nicely. My question is: I thought yeast only went dormant at low temperatures, so if that is right, why did it not wake up and start work when I raised the temperature? And at what low temperature will it die?
    Brewing: Black Rock Cider, Milestone Olde Home Wrecker, port wines
    Conditioning: Oranje Bock Bier, about 30 demijohns of wine of various types
    Drinking: Steam Beer, Czech Pilsner, Dark Ale, lots of wine, Moonshine

And at what low temperature will it die?

I dunno, but the instructions say store in a 'fridge...

It could have been down to the yeast not having a high alcohol tolerance and not wanting to restart, but I would have thought that unlikely with a relatively low ABV target.

RAB

Comment

There is more to this.. I freeze yeast -20 and then re use it - regularly.

Temp is not the issue here.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Once rehydrated and in a living state, yeast tends to suffer the same fate as most other living things when exposed to cold temperatures - too cold and they will die. Some strains are fairly hardy, though. One time I actually took delivery of a bucket of refrigerated juice from one of our local distributors that was happily bubbling away at 2° C.
        Steve

Comment

Working...
        X