Gooseberry Fool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gooseberry Fool

After investigating growing some grape vines and the prospect of them not doing too well I decided I should get something more suitable for a northern climate

So I got 4 off these.....

gooseberry lady late.jpg

Hoping to eventually retrain them as double cordons, when I've figured out which bits to snip off!

I've read that the "hairy grapes" make good wine, has anyone got experience of making wine from fresh gooseberries?
    Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

I get the feeling the words "steam juicer" will be along soon
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I'll let you know when I finally get enough from my bushes to make some. Our gooseberry bushes are no more than living bird feeders (that's the ones the rabbits haven't gnawed to the ground).

good luck

ps get a steam juicer!!

http://markblades.com
      Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
      These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
        I get the feeling the words "steam juicer" will be along soon
        ooooo more shiney equipment

Comment

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
          I'll let you know when I finally get enough from my bushes to make some. Our gooseberry bushes are no more than living bird feeders (that's the ones the rabbits haven't gnawed to the ground).

good luck

ps get a steam juicer!!

A net may be required then! I have experienced this problem before when growing things - somthing else wants to eat it before is ready weeds never seam to get eaten though

I don't expect to get a huge crop from them this year, although there are a few flowers appeared on them.

I was thinking more of a 24hr cold maceration and then ferment the juice only.

Comment

I would check the sugar and acid levels first, otherwise you may end up with wine that'll give you a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp!

http://markblades.com
            Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
            These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Originally posted by Abervin View Post
              I was thinking more of a 24hr cold maceration and then ferment the juice only.
              I would freeze them rock hard, thaw them and then put them straight in the press and ferment the juice!
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

or........

watch colin Tweed's juice extraction video on the winesathome youtube channel...you will see a centrifugal juicer is what you need

Ian (kampervan) also did a session on it at grapefest 2011

Kampervan, (Ian), shows, us, how, to, extract, juice, for, winemaking., Shot, at, our, Grapefest, event, 2011

these videos shpuld hopefully give you some good guidance

regards
                bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

... so many ideas so few gooseberries

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                    ... so many ideas so few gooseberries
                    I do know of a fruit grower who has frozen ones

Thanks Bob i'll check them out, it does sound a little capital intensive though!

Mark, how do you know thats not my normal face

Comment

Working...
                    X