No announcement yet.

This years Grape order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part of Grapefest was looking at the list of potential grapes get whittled down from heaps to a couple come the weekend.

I didn't say it was a good part

I'm looking forward to the new format and seeing how it goes. Anything that increases the variety is worth a shot, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to actually buy any this year owing to lack of space, and abundance of ferrets and the fact that my wines from 2011 are still waiting to be racked. At least I've oaked them now.

Also, I'd like to protest at the poll. I always found grapefest to be reliable for a good night sleep after a torrent of Frankie Boyle/Proclaimer jokes. There is no option for this (although I suspect that I'd be the only one to vote for it lol .
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post
      Also, I'd like to protest at the poll. I always found grapefest to be reliable for a good night sleep after a torrent of Frankie Boyle/Proclaimer jokes. There is no option for this (although I suspect that I'd be the only one to vote for it lol .
      Added!
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

ooooooh - I can't vote for it it now.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

26437_380202612141_5024710_n.jpg
          Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
          Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
          -Police Squad

Comment

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Please can you tell me, when do the varieties start turning up and when's the best time to purchase?

I've taken on board that Sangiovese is OK as an early and the latest is Montepulciano - so I'm hoping to get two lots through my bottle-neck (crush/primary/press) which is both time and equipment bound, before my chum dumps 100kg of English white on my task-list.

Has anyone got a date for the arrival of full-ripened reds?
              Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
              Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Grapefest is 21st Sept

Harvest conditions dictate which varietals arrive when, and its a guessing game till then

we go for 3rd week in Sept so as to have the best chance of having most varietals, but the frozen option this year will open things up massively

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

You think that's an answer to my question? You are so cute. xxx
                  Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.

Comment

Originally posted by ToulouseLePlot View Post
                    Um...........don't quite know what to say to that?!?!?!?!?!?!? Bob DID answer your question (in as far as Grape availability for GF this year). So i'm not sure that the quote above was justified..........just my opinion.
                    "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

LMAO. priceless.

Bobby is absolutely right I have this timetable is guesswork.
                      This is my guess... (this is very very very very rough guideline - there are sooooo many things that can tip this off course)

early September

Sangiovese
                      Giliegiolo
                      Shiraz

mid-September
                      Trebbiano (eek)
                      Primitivo
                      Merlot

late-September
                      Tempranillo (sometimes available)
                      Grenache
                      Montepulciano

Mid-October
                      English white
                      later still red
                      Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 06-08-2013, 11:23 AM. Reason: missed out a 'very'
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

lol @ missed out a very
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Tis the only answer I have, as every year is different, and we are at the mercy of the weather, the varietals have never arrived at the same time for the last 9 years I have been making grape wine, the suppliers shrug their shoulders and tell me, they will come when they come!

I've been described as lots of things but that's the first "cute"
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            but that's the first "cute"
                            It's probably also the last
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Mr Rat,

Thank you very much. I appreciate the timetable is not given under oath and has a warranty about as reliable as Arthur Daley's motors. I have a daughter, more than one actually, but the one I have in mind is producing an off-shoot to the LePlot dynasty in mid September (about as reliable a date as all the others in this conversation). I need to order my affairs with considerable care, notwithstanding the vagaries of Mother Nature and the law Murphy bequeathed us, and I think shooting for 100kg of Sangiovese and 100kg of Montepulciano followed up with 75kg of chum's greenhouse white may just be achievable.

It would actually be quite interesting to make a note of the dates these things arrive over the years and see how they vary. But I'm grateful for the product of your experience. You must have similar scheduling questions as I know you flog around the country selflessly in these interesting weeks.

Best wishes for success to all in the 2013 harvest!

Comment

75kg of chum's greenhouse white.
                                He would be well advised to freeze these as they come ripe. This boosts the overall quality of the finished batch dramatically IMO.
                                Raising the sugars & lowering the acids.

Further it also enables you to ferment them at will, in the later cooler months (easier/better winemaking) and most importantly once grandfatherly duties have been attended to.

Congratulations

Comment

Working...
                                X