View Poll Results: What was the biggest thing you gained from grapefest

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • The processing of fresh grapes

3 33.33%
  • The talks and demos

2 22.22%
  • Getting an opinion on my wine (from someone quailified to give it)

1 11.11%
  • Mingling with other wine makers and gaining knowledge from them

6 66.67%
  • A general social event where friends were made

4 44.44%
  • Starting fires (Simon)

1 11.11%
  • All of the above

1 11.11%
  • Frankie Boyle/Proclaimer jibes at koomber

4 44.44%
  • Singing "i would walk 500 miles"

4 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This years Grape order

Blog Entries

I'm also happy with either, hell I might even live dangerously this year and actually make wine (instead of pyment - Ok, maybe both). I know that the frozen ones work fine, and you get a bit of breathing space as it takes about 3 days for the buggers to thaw out........

But I'd still attend as it's an excuse to get away for a weekend
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

I'd be up for the frozen grapes.

If it improves the varieties available then it can't be a bad thing. It'll also mean more people can be subjected to a beer water lecture by me, and I love being the centre of attention.
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by koomber View Post
    -----snip-----
    It'll also mean more people can be subjected to a beer water lecture by me, and I love being the centre of attention.
    No no...... I won't hear of it.......
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Blog Entries

Fresh has the advantages for newbies (I.e. people like me) to see the whole process of crushing, de-stemming then worry about sulphiting etc. There's also the crate lugging/ burning along with that certain sense of everyone mucking in to get the job done...so to me frozen seems to lose something of what the event is about...

Having said that, I like the idea of extra varieties and presumably more chance of getting what you want due to availability...

But, is grapefest about the grapes or the wine, or both? Fresh has my vote, but I'm happy to go with the majority...

They're still gonna need de-stemming and crushing afaik, so there's still that bit.

Personally, I plan on de-stemming mine by hand this year before pouring them through the crusher if possbile. So I hope they come still needing those bits doing.

Just a thought
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ukric View Post
    They're still gonna need de-stemming and crushing afaik, so there's still that bit.

Personally, I plan on de-stemming mine by hand this year before pouring them through the crusher if possbile. So I hope they come still needing those bits doing.

Just a thought
    No, Brian does that (his machine does an excellent job) before the pulped grapes are poured into the 25litre drums and freezing them down......

Some blog ramblings

They will arrive destemmed and crushed, (done in that order avoids any crushing of stems) Brian's machine does it in that order, which is better (his kit was more expensive than mine)

So the plus side of going frozen is:
    more varietals
    better quality (frozen at point of delivery so no deterioration of grapes during storage and travel)
    no clean up of kit (and those who have tried cleaning the crusher/destemmer will tell you what a pain it is)
    more time for talks on wine and beer maing
    more social time
    more time for tastings of attendees wine and session on how to improve it
    more time to devote to a proper wine swap (we always forget it till its too late don't we?)

minus side is:
    don't get to do the crushing as a team

I suppose it is down to what we want grapefest to be. Is it the crushing of the grapes as a collective that is the attraction or the exposure to people with experienced palates and knowledge and the tasting and discussion of all wines present that is the key? It is nice when it is both but then if it is a fresh grape event, we miss some of the varietals.

your thoughts appreciated, keep them coming

regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 28-05-2013 at 07:34 AM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

don't get to do the crushing as a team

Although the OP stated one or the other (fresh or frozzed), I don't see that a demonstration set-up on the day to be a bad thing - at least for new starters, who may wish to purchase their own grapes at some point.

Personally fresh for me, the crushing de stemming is what makes the day IMHO, hard graft and getting stuck in, putting all the mouldy grapes,leaves & stems and anything else we can find into Bob's batch ;D sticky grape juice all over, cutting your fingers on Bob's de stemmer, rewarded with a few ales and plenty of wine, banter & a bowl of chili.

Grapefest just wouldn't be Grapefest, it would be more of a 'come collect your Winexpert kit' sort of thing.

Though I will go with the majority, maybe Brian could bring half a dozen fresh box's just for a demo for the newcomers?
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Quote Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
    No, Brian does that (his machine does an excellent job) before the pulped grapes are poured into the 25litre drums and freezing them down......
    Oh well, I'm still not fussed, just a little (extra work) experiment I was planning
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast