PakLab Reserve du Chateau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PakLab Reserve du Chateau

Cost £15.66, started 17 March 2012, bottled 27 May 2012 - review based on tasting several bottles 26 May 2013.

A waste of £15.66

ABV 11.5% - though I added 650g sugar to get there.
    A very nasty wine indeed, awful smell of something akin to acetone and just a very unpleasant taste that had the most tenuous relationship to wine of any I've experienced. On a par with my runner-bean and elderberry experience and i wonder if this has seen about the same exposure to grape.

Passed-off at a picnic after decanting the night before into muslin covered bottles to try and get rid of the stink. Fortunately the guests had been warmed up on beed and ginger-beer.

One saving grace. The smell disappears on cooking. This is the only use to which I can suggest it is appropriate.
    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Mmm, mine all ended up ok. Nothing to write home about but pleasant enough for the cost... Certainly no funny smells or tastes... In fact not a great deal of taste but I've paid £12 for the house bottle in a restaurant which was worse than this stuff...

Comment

I did one too, (rude not to at that price) Seems ok. Nothing special, but no off smells.

Comment

Yep, mine was ok too - just about to bottle a Beaverdale Cab Sauv (Never done one before)

Comment

Originally posted by woody1962 View Post
          Yep, mine was ok too - just about to bottle a Beaverdale Cab Sauv (Never done one before)
          It's pretty good. I quite liked it.
          Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
          Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
          -Police Squad

Comment

I made one of these when they were on amazon at silly money. To be honest, I can see why they were dumping them. Mine ended up like an insipid red wine vinegar which was a bit low on the acid. It ended up as spag bol and beef bourguignon!

I am with you on this one Le Plot.

http://markblades.com
            Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
            These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

I tried a pinot grigio kit and a barolo kit, the pinot is as good as any shop bought i've tried. The barolo has improved with a bit of "cellar rat effect" 2 months micro oxygenation with some oak chips, still needs some more aging though
              Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

Comment

I need to get this off my chest. These are the cheapest and the worst kit wines I have made to date, including attempts to fortify the reds with raisins !!!!. I have left bulk batches for over a year, and to me they are still undrinkable. You get what you pay for, however I'm glad I'm not a poor sucker who bought at Amazons full price. Luckily I know an alcoholic farmer who was glad of a free wine stock. Unbelievably he found the stuff palatable and filled my freezer with butcher meat. I have cooked with the white wines whenever a recipe suited a fruity wine and got rid of them too, so I am now free to put all my DJ's to a far better use.
                Sorry to anyone who thought they were getting quality wine at bargain prices. Somebody has to try them out, and I have given them more time than they deserved.

Alan
                Last edited by bigshug1960; 26-09-2013, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X