X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methods of Juice extraction

Our good friend Colin Tweed shares his Juice extraction methods

Extracting juice for winemaking Colin Tweed N.G.W.B.J. shows us how
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 17-11-2023, 01:39 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Oooooo, nice. His stuff about rhubarb juicing was good so hopefully this'll be equally as useful.....
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

That was a really interesting video! Will have to try some of those methods..

Comment

I notice Argos has one of those juicer machines on offer from £99 down to £69..

Not sure which fruits it would be suitable for (obviously apples work well) not sure about strawberries/cherries/plums etc. would they work?

Comment

Not very good for for stoned fruit, steam juicer better for them, however, i tend not to use stoned fruit much as i never seem to get quality wine from them

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

very nice video, thanks for sharing !

from a friend of mine, who is on a raw food only diet,
            the high speed juicer, like the one in the video is not very efficient
            many of the good things (nutrients and vitamins) in fruit and veg are destroyed

for the best quality whole juice extractor, you would need to invest in a twin gear juicer
            like the one by greenstar, they are not cheap at around £400-500 (£300 second hand)
            but they are the top of the range juicer

they work more like a crusher and press

Comment

Thanks for the video....that bit about rhubarb as made me think about how I do mine. I freeze the barb for a few days, that use the dry sugar extraction but with this method you add water. Now I've always thought that adding water is going to "thin out" the end wine...and to see Colin just use the juice, I take it he added the 2 DJ's together?? I still have13kgs of barb in the freezer at the moment, and I'm thinking that after all the fun with the grapes is out the way, I may have a go at Colin recipe/method.
              Anyway I've got a 25lt bucket of apples sat in the corner of the kitchen for the last 5 days, time to get it into a FV. Then it's up to the lottie and check on the Brix on the grapes. You don't get much time to sit around doing nowt do ya??

Comment

For 1 Gallon of colins wine

1 litre rhubarb juice
                1 litre grape juice
                sugar to SG 1.080
                Water to 1 gallon

The same principle applies here as to wine No1 (less is more)

Pure rhubarb juice will produce a poor wine, and i find the sugar extraction method produces a wine that lacks finesse

hope that helps

regards
                bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by godfrey View Post
                  from a friend of mine, who is on a raw food only diet,
                  the high speed juicer, like the one in the video is not very efficient
                  many of the good things (nutrients and vitamins) in fruit and veg are destroyed
                  I am not sure that is correct, it is the same process for making smoothies that are allegedly (one never really knows these days) really nutritional, but I am happy to be shown otherwise.

However, we are making wine and as such are not so interested in vitamins as we would be for foodstuff, we want the juice for the winemaking process. But even if it is true, we compensate by using good quality nutrients that contain all the nutrients, minerals and vitamins the yeast need. We get our nutritional stuff from the stuff we pair with the wine

regards
                  bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                  X