Mixed Berry Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Berry Cider

Thought I'd have a stab at making a mixed berry Cider.

Ingredients
    1 x Can Young's Brew Buddy Cider
    2 x 440mL bottle Lowicz Raspberry and Lime Flower Syrup
    2 x 440mL bottle Lowicz Blackberry Syrup

Starting Gravity
    1.056 (ish)

Make up to 20L with water. Pitched the yeast that came with the kit. I'll keep you chaps posted on how it turns out. Should come out at about 6.5% When all is said and done
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Originally posted by koomber View Post
    Thought I'd have a stab at making a mixed berry Cider.

Ingredients
    1 x Can Young's Brew Buddy Cider
    2 x 440mL bottle Lowicz Raspberry and Lime Flower Syrup
    2 x 440mL bottle Lowicz Blackberry Syrup

Starting Gravity
    1.056 (ish)

Make up to 20L with water. Pitched the yeast that came with the kit. I'll keep you chaps posted on how it turns out. Should come out at about 6.5% When all is said and done
    Top idea.......

Might need a bit of sweetening ? Just thinking cos all the "non-apple" ciders I've tried seem to be sweet but whether that's the fruit flavouring or what I don't know......
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I think the kit is supposed to have some residual sweetness to it anyway, but I guess I'll find out in a few days once the ferment settles down. I'm getting some non feremnetable sugar in as a standby just in case.
      -Police Squad

Comment

good idea - do you think it would work with cherries?
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Should do. Just follow good practices for fruit in a ferment.

Allegedly making 32 pints using the kit on its onwn gives a passible cider which is one of the reasons I've gone for this volume (also it'll fit perfectly in a Cornelius Keg). I may have to dilute depending on the taste though. I suspect I way have over done it with the syrups. Also it's predicted to come out at 7-8% depednign on how dry it gets.

Not that I'm complaining, but I was aiming for a session cider for the wife, not Turbo Cider for getting ratted with.
          -Police Squad

Comment

So, it's gone down to 1.010 or ther eabouts for about 3 days now. Seriously eggy whiff to it. Racked it into a Crony to chill it to aid clearing (I seem to have chucked all my finings out at some point). Gave a mighty good shake (whilst venting pressure) as well to try and purge some of the whiff.

The yeast on the bottom looked a very dark brown, I'm more used to fermenting beer (where the yeast is a cream/yellow) and I've never seen yeast that dark on the bottom of a fermentation vessel, but that could just be because it's not beer yeast.

Not really sure how to proceed. Any suggestions?
            -Police Squad

Comment

So I buckled and bought some finings from Tesco (hand picked for their proximity) and launched that in. Did a bang up job of getting the much out of it. Racked it into a fresh corny keg and topped up the missing volume with water, which is fine by me since I really don't want it to be a high alcohol drink.

The wife thought it was too dry so I back sweetened with 40g of sucralose. I'm going to force carbonate it at about 16 PSI @ 6°C.
              -Police Squad

Comment

60 psi would be better. 16 will not get much fizz.
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                  60 psi would be better. 16 will not get much fizz.
                  60 PSI? That's a hell of a lot! Wouldn't that be something like 8 volumes of CO2, where as a fizzy ale/lager/cider would be in the region of 2.6 to 4 volumes?
                  Or are you talking about the quick force carbonation method where you stick the pressure on high for a short length of time and then dial it back once the appropriate carbonation has been achieved?

I'm going for a slow force carb where the desired level of fizz is achieved over a longer length of time whilst leaving it at serving pressure.
                  -Police Squad

Comment

Yes indeed I serve at 16 for beer & 5 for wine. However I have found 16 does not really get much of the fizz in it, if you are storing at room temperature but chilling to serve. 60 for a couple of days, @ 5° c and then reduce gives a better finish.

If you have a spare keg, make a gas to gas fitting than just dump it out, and use for serving

Comment

Working...
                    X