No announcement yet.

Easiest wine to make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i agree dave b although ive yet to taste my first scratch wild cherry so it waits to be confimed also started a blackberry yesterday just pitched the yeast this morning still got m,ore than 3lb of berrys left for another batch might mix them with some elderberrys and try a port yeast i feel like a scientist
    mark
    "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

I agree with the carton juice being easy and can have good results too, I made a gallon of cranberry rose' by using,

From Morrisons if I remember correctly,

2 ltrs cranberry
      1 ltr cranberry and raspberry
      1 ltr red grape juice

added the usual etc etc.

sugar to sg of 1090

Resulted in a very enjoyable wine at an early age, still have 3 bottles in cellar about 10 weeks old which I'm leaving for a good while or untill temptation gets me.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

The Morrisons cranberry/Raspberry is good early but let it sit a year and it develops well.
        regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Yep, I agree, frozen concentrates or cartons. No need to add even acid or tannin usually. Pectic enzyme, nutrient, stir the heck out of it and sprinkle the yeast on top. WA-LA! Wine!
          REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Sorry folks I am not a fruit juice from the store wine maker. I prefer to use fresh fruit, canned unsweetened fruit or concentrated fruit juices when I have to use any fruit type juice. At least that is the way I do it and it works for me. DAW

Comment

I'd agree on a kit for someone who's never made wine before, but as far as reliability goes, apple from fruit is pretty foolproof- I've been really drunk whilst making batches of this, and done all kinds of stupid things which should contaminate or ruin it, and it's always been a success.

Greg

Comment

Nah! Traditional (basic) mead honey into fermenter, rinse jars with warm water and add to rest, top up to right level, add nutrient and acid and give it a good shake/stir to aerate, allow to cool to fermenting temperature, pitch yeast and seal with airlock......

Regards

Jtfb
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Wine No1 without a doubt
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Last year I bought a dozen 5-gallon pails of refrigerated white grape juice from California. Easiest product I've ever worked with. The acid/pH/sugar was already balanced. All I had to do was add a tablespoon of nutrient, pitch the yeast, and put an airlock in the hole (already provided) on the top of the pail.

Couldn't be easier.

Furthermore, this company had many different varieties available. I made Viognier, Muscat, Riesling, Chardonnay, and Sauvignon Blanc. They all turned out pretty good, IMO.
                    Steve

Comment

Suffering frozen juice envy right now!
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

The best part is the price, which ranges from $27-33 (£16-20) for 5 gallons. Even at the high end, it comes out to about a buck a bottle.

I'm sending the Riesling and Chard in for the VWC comp. You'll have to let me know what you think.

Well, actually, I suppose the person judging it will let me know, too.
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                          The best part is the price, which ranges from $27-33 (£16-20) for 5 gallons. Even at the high end, it comes out to about a buck a bottle.

Now you are just rubbing it in!
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            Now you are just rubbing it in!
                            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                              The Morrisons cranberry/Raspberry is good early but let it sit a year and it develops well.
                              regards
                              Bob
                              Just wondering with this one...
                              If I were to scale it up for a 5gal carboy what volume of cranberry and rasberry would I need.
                              That combination sounds nice, Id like to try this!

John

Comment

For 5 Gallons..

5 litres cranberry and raspberry
                                5 litres white grape juice (you could use red if you wanted, but I think white works better)
                                Sugar to an SG of 1.080 (about 3.5 kilos/7.5lbs but use your hydrometer)
                                5 tsp yeast nutrient
                                between 2 and 5 tsp acid (tartaric or citric) use test kit or taste buds to determine acid levels
                                1pkt good quality yeast (I favour lalvin K1V-1116 or Lalvin 71B-1122)

you may wish to add some pectolase (1 tsp per gallon) I use it in everything now, just to be sure, same goes for bentonite...1 tsp per gallon in everything now.

hope this helps
                                regards
                                Bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X