X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help identify my Grape Vine

Hello,

(this is also my first post) Long time reader first time poster :-D
    I've made cider from our apple trees for many years, and am just getting into the wine thing now - although I'm not personally a wine fan it does go nicely in food when cooking and some people seem to like to drink it to. I've made a couple of the beaverdale barolo's before which were good for going in spag bowls and lasagnes. Starting to look at making my own cooking wine from the vine, some elderberries, and blackberries.

I've got a grape vine we planted some 20-odd year ago, maybe even close to 30 now.. I think we bought it from Woolworths for about £2 as a shade for the veranda.

I've attached a few photos and would be grapeful for any advice. The vine lives in London.

grapevine-1.jpggrape-vine-2.jpg
    photo (3).jpgphoto (4).jpgphoto (5).jpg
    Last edited by JIS; 13-09-2013, 11:28 AM.

That's definitely a cooking wine vine, grown for shade, by someone who isn't really interested in wine. It also looks suspiciously like a pinot noir, basis of the finest wine known to man (imho).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Bought 20 years ago.....most likely a Black Hamburg

Pinot Noir would be tighter bunches I think

will make reasonable wine too

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks chaps !!

How do I know when to pick them?
        photo (7).jpg

I was going to follow your recipe number two, and chuck these in mushed up as well. Is that right, or is there another recipe I should go with?

Thanks again

Comment

I would make it as a standalone, just grapes nothing else. Should make a nice light bodied red.

see here for guidance

harvest when the seeds have turned brown, still a bit to go before harvest i think.

regards
          bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
          X