amount of must from grape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amount of must from grape

Ah, the end of a long day. I picked-up 10 boxes of Merlot at 8am, finished washing-up at 8:15pm. I test weighed one average box - it was 9kg. Stripping by hand and mashing by foot I managed 64L of must in total. One box had about 30% gone brown & mushy so I chucked those, the others I was perhaps a bit picky about and probably threw away 250 gm of grapes in each (2.5kg for the batch - it all adds up).

So for this batch of merlot, 10 boxes = roughly 90kg = 64 L. I'm expecting to lose 25% on pressing so should theoretically be 64 bottles.

So for this batch of this grape 25L (full measure) would be close to 4 boxes.

I'm testing tomorrow for brix, TA, pH.
    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Happy with 22° Brix (SG 1.092)
    pH 3.6 and TA 3 g/l are a little on the light side

Reading bits here and there I think I can add some tartaric acid after fermentation, so I'm not adjusting now, in an attempt to find out what its natural composition is. Is this a mistake? Would you add some tartaric at this stage or wait to see how it comes out at pressing?
    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

is that 3 g/l as Tartaric or Sulphuric?
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
      X