2013 Ferments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Ferments

Hi chaps, where are all the numbers ? Last few years they have been posted by now.
    I'm relying on all you young, go ahead wine makers.
    Being old, decrepit, poor eye sight, etc. etc. and according to my old mate Karl "a tight git" I don't have the where withall or ability to test for anything more technical than SG/Brix.
    Also wondered what yeasts, additives you are all using.
    Good to see you all again, pity I had to leave before the festivities began.

Gervin no 2 on all three reds I got.

Not used it before and had it a while so thought I'd give it a go.

Acids? I rang Bob, brief discussion, leaving em as they are
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

I'm holding off until you guys have a day or two start on me. that way you are answering my questions before I ask them.

Comment

Managed to get some testing done this evening and it would be interesting to see what results we all get so don't be shy.

Mine are

Nero d'vulva (It will forever be known by no other name Mr Sharp) Yeast BM4 x 4
        SG 1.080 or 19.3 Brix
        PH 3.20
        TA 5.85g/l
        23 litres of must from 3 boxes

Tempranillo Yeast BDX
        SG 1.073 or 17.7 Brix
        PH 3.35
        TA 7.05g/l
        49 litres of must from 7 boxes

Merlot Yeast BM4 x 4
        SG 1.097 or 23 Brix
        PH 3.75
        TA 3.6g/l
        46 litres of must from 7 boxes

The Tempranillo is very low on sugar so I will be adding some to bring the Brix up a bit and will also add a little to the Nero as well. The Merlot has good sugar levels but the acid is very low so I've added a chunk of Tartaric and will test again tomorrow. Both the Nero and Tempranillo were fermenting quite nicely on wild yeast, the Tempranillo had actually formed a cap this evening and that was before I added any yeast!

Comment

Cheers for posting such comprehensive numbers Rob

I havent tested acidity, but was happy enough with Brix reading and devcided to run as was, using K1V-1116 for the Shiraz and Gervin Red for the Nero D'Vulva.

I left the Sicilian white to settle and will rack tonight to get clearer juice, dissapointing yield from these at around 19 litres from 5 boxes. The hydropress isnt pressing hard enough to get maximum yield, but such is life, I will be ok with less yield if the quality is good

Thanks to all for a great weekend, we really pulled as a team on Saturday (it was also nice to spend so much time on saturday sober and get to know you all a little better because of it.)

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I am going to use RC212 as I have it lying around. As it is my first attempt with grapes I intend to keep things simple and don't intend to add any nutrient etc. However my first question (probably of many) is, do I need to add metabisulphite before I pitch the yeast or am I taking a gamble if I leave the must as it is ?
            I will post the SG readings before I add the yeast.

Regards Alan

Comment

RC212 says on the back of the packet "add to previously sulfited must" (sic). I was worried about same question - but that gave me confidence. 64L of merlot kicked off in 3 FVs 10 days ago, I put 5 campden tablets in each, left 24 hrs and then added RC212. 36 hrs later all blowing off a winemaker's symphony.
              Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
              Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Pitched starter yesterday evening (K1V x 2 sachets) - checked this morning and cap aready starting to push up.

Monte grape starting SG 23 Brix (as per testing). No acid additions made. Must temp 21.5 degrees. Ambient temp in Fermentation chamber 27 degrees (trying for a little warmer ferment this year). Plus, have immersed the ATC 800 temp probe (sanitised, obviously!) in the must this year, so have a direct reading of must temp as opposed to chamber temp (have 40W heater plugged in to the ATC for temp control - plus calibrated digital thermo in the chamber itself). This is based on the conversation myself, Rob, Simon and Paul had on saturday regarding fermentation temps whilst we were comparing my GF2011 Merlot and Rob's 2011 Merlot.
                "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Finally defrosted the frozen grapes yesterday to the point where I could confidently test. I have found in the past that the freezing process separates out the sugars and it takes a while for them to mix back in.

Shiraz Yeast BDX
                  SG 1.073 17.7 Brix
                  PH 3.63
                  TA 4.5g/l Tartaric
                  50 litres frozen must

Trebbiano Yeast K1V 1116
                  SG 1.074
                  PH 3.52
                  TA 4.2g/l Tartaric
                  20 litres juice from 25 litres frozen must
                  16 litres of clarified juice after settling for 11 hrs

Again sugar and acid levels are lower than they could be so both will be increased.

The colour of both the Merlot and Tempranillo are much lighter this year than last despite good extraction by Rohapect enzyme, the Nero is a little darker but the Shiraz has a lovely deep red with a purple tinge to it.

Comment

RC212 ..... do I need to add metabisulphite before I pitch the yeast
                    Nope.

But it would be wise to keep a packet of Tronozymol to hand. RC212 can need nutrient. Sniff regularly
                    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Cap punched down this evening.....nice vigorous ferment. Ambient temp 19 degrees. Must temp 29 degrees, and pretty static (good old temperature control!!!)
                      "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Thanks folks, I had bought Tronozymol today as I was passing a HB shop. It seemed stupid not to be prepared. I also bought an acid testing kit which I am about to read up on.

Alan

Comment

I would be inclined to add some Tronozymol at this point, to add when not needed will do no harm, but a batch that needed it and didnt get it can be quite troublesome and difficult to get back on track.

1/2 tsp per gal wont hurt at all

hope that helps

regardBobs
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Shiraz and Nero D'Vulva fermenting very vigorously shiraz on K1V-1116 Nero on Gervin Red (Malo lactic culture pitched at same time as yeast) smaller amount of grapes this year so fermenting indoors, reds in kitchen, white in cellar

caps punched (very raised cap) and smelling great

Airen racked from sludge and Gervin No 5 pitched
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks Bob, now added and and buckets lifted off the floor for a little extra warmth. They looked and smelt like they had started to ferment themselves a little, should I be worried about that ?
                              Last edited by bigshug1960; 24-09-2013, 11:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X