2013 Ferments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigshug1960 View Post
    Thanks Bob, now added and and buckets lifted off the floor for a little extra warmth. They looked and smelt like they had started to ferment themselves a little, should I be worried about that ?
    I don't think a day or two of wild yeast fermentation will do any harm. I believe some of the professional wineries allow wild yeast fermentation to start before adding a known yeast. It is meant to add some complexity to the wine.

Comment

I had no choice, it was bubbling away by the time I got to it anyway lol

With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Originally posted by ukric View Post
        I had no choice, it was bubbling away by the time I got to it anyway lol

My Tempranillo was forming a cap from wild yeast fermentation by the time I got around to pitching yeast into it.

What is happening with your hand de-stemmed grapes? Did you crush with feet? Are you doing anything different with the fermentation?

Comment

Nothing especially different, the only other thing I'm thinking of is splitting the free run and pressed to give it even more of a purist feel, if that's the right phrase?

The crush was all by hand... probably have got better results running them through the crusher maybe

Comment

Minimalist approach this year.

Didn't measure any SGs or acids

Cap temps finally getting up towards where I want them (currently in the 26 -28c range, with heating, aiming for 30 ish).

Tempranillo a bit smelly - bled juice for the rosé stank on Sunday, fermenting on its own. Lots of Tronozymol in the Tempranillo red (RC212), a bit less in the Shiraz and Sicilian (BM4x4)

So far, so OK.

Now, I have to leave them for two days, with Mrs Goldseal on punch-down and H2S duty
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by bigshug1960 View Post
              They looked and smelt like they had started to ferment themselves a little, should I be worried about that ?
              Not at all, as Rob rightly says a couple of days of wild yeast fermentation can add complexity, and bring more of the "terroir" out

welcome to the wonderful world of wine grape winemaking

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Press ordered

Comment

Press ordered
                  Good man!!!
                  "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Press ordered
                    I don't know why I struggled for so long without a decent press. You wil not regret it.

Comment

Speaking of presses, I pressed the 3 boxes of Nero d'volvo this morning as they were down to SG 1.018 and I am away for the weekend. 19.5 litres of juice sat settling out.

Merlot is fermenting quite slowly, SG1.045, Shiraz and Tempranillo are a bit quicker at around SG1.030. Going to press those on Monday.

Colour on Shiraz is very good, Merlot seems to have improved a bit with nice purple tones and definitely darker than when started. Tempranillo and Nero are still pale red.

Noticed a little whiff coming from the Tempranillo last night so I added a tsp of nutrient and the smell has gone.

Comment

Trebbiano pressed on Monday, 2 days on the skins, as usual a merky grey colour, tried to let some of the crap settle out, but the wild yeast had kicked in so added a vintners harvest BV7 yeast, juice yeald just over 15 ltrs(3 boxes)
                        Unknown Spanish white pressed on Wednesday so 4 days on the skins, a much clearer juice, brix quite low on these 16, so will add some grape concentrate again wild yeast active so pitched VH BV7, juice yeald just under 15ltrs (3boxes).

Bob, I would consider a manual press for whites in future, there was still a lot of juice in your skins after using the bladder press.

Shiraz is still sitting in the back of my van (lazy sod) so el naturel it is.
                        Discount Home Brew Supplies
                        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                        National Wine Judge
                        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I was gonna say I'll bring mine next year

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                            Bob, I would consider a manual press for whites in future, there was still a lot of juice in your skins after using the bladder press.
                            Question Karl... do you guys ever use anything like rice hulls to get a better press on whites? I started using them a couple years back after a friend had some "extra" upon purchasing a 25 lb bag (I guess he didn't realize that 25 lbs of rice hulls is one big azz bag, lol). A sprinkling every couple of inches in the basket press seems to give a little more "grit" for pressing. Before that, I always thought pressing whites was a little like stomping in a vat of jelly.
                            Steve

Comment

Heard that before - I think jelly is a good description.

I use hessian separators (not to be confused with Hessian separatists) - simple discs in the basket press - I think these work by giving pathway to the juice. Does rice do the same perhaps?
                              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                                Question Karl... do you guys ever use anything like rice hulls to get a better press on whites?
                                To be honest Steve, had never heard of the idea, interesting though. I was quite happy with the juice extraction, but did note the skins were quite moist and could have given more, maybe an idea for next year.
                                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                                National Wine Judge
                                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                                X