Are these PET bottles good enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these PET bottles good enough?

As part of my wife's agreement for my wine making, the aging bottles need to fit inside our Ikea shelf. I currently have the ebay style stackable HDPE jugs but want to get rid of them as they will give me problems. Better bottles just
    won't fit so that's not an option at this point.

Would these do the trick for bulk aging upto 1 year? http://innocan.eu/pdf/Innocan-EN_Fiches-20L.pdf

Kindest regards
    Mike

Originally posted by krakowmike View Post
    As part of my wife's agreement for my wine making, the aging bottles need to fit inside our Ikea shelf. I currently have the ebay style stackable HDPE jugs but want to get rid of them as they will give me problems. Better bottles just
    won't fit so that's not an option at this point.

Would these do the trick for bulk aging upto 1 year? http://innocan.eu/pdf/Innocan-EN_Fiches-20L.pdf

Kindest regards
    Mike
    Don't see why not. The sheet spec says PET etc, so presumably that's the same as better bottles and similar. If the BB's are considered OK for up to 12 months, then I can't see any other reason why not....

Whether the others who know more about it than me, might have any issues ??????
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

It's impossible to tell from looking at the spec sheet, but I do know that not all PET is created equal. Some containers are actually semi-permeable to air. If it were me, I would contact the company.
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
        It's impossible to tell from looking at the spec sheet, but I do know that not all PET is created equal. Some containers are actually semi-permeable to air. If it were me, I would contact the company.
        Damn! You learn something new every day.......

I wonder if it has to be of a certain thickness or something like that......
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

On their website they describe oxygen barrier as being good, but good for what? I think your biggest problem would be actually getting them in small amounts. They have a partner company in this country but I cannot find this product on their website and they only seem to deal in pallet quantities. My pseudo bettabottle is 500 mm tall to the bumg so not much taller than these which will be 470 mm+ with the lid on. Good find though
          Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

I found a supplier in the UK that does any size order. The company name is Oipps.

The bottom line for me is are these better than the ebay style HDPE? Besides being PET, I like them because the hole is in the middle, avoiding having to tip the HDPE ones to fill them up all the way.

Comment

Northernwiner is correct all plastic is not created equal. Just because the container is food grade does not mean it is viable for making wine. All plastic has a liner that prevents the plastic from leaching it's chemicals into what the container is intended to hold. It is the liner that is different as not all acids and bases that the intended material contains are the same so if you get a liner the is intended for water say it will be dissolved by the acids in the wine. So you must make sure that the plastic you intend to use has the right liner or barrier to prevent the leaching of the chemicals in the plastic.
              http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

What a good find!!

I agree all plastics (within type) are not the same. But PET is better than HDPE for longer term wine storage.

The obvious choice is get one & see. what is the unit price?
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

To change my entire system (4x10l and 4x20l) plus shipping is 45 GBP. Slightly higher cost than the same setup wuth hdpe.

Just waiting for a email response from company.

Comment

They responded saying wine is ok but i should test it and there hdpe jerrycans are better. Im not sure she knows whats shes talking about. What should i do?

Comment

IMO bite the bullet and use Better Bottles specifically designed for wine making.
                      Simon
                      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Do better bottles fit ?

Test one.?
                        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I think they would fit but since not stackable id have cut my supply in half and unable to age for more than a few months.

Comment

I think I would take to modifying the shelves balanced against the risk of losing the wine. I believe also that you can get 3 gallon BB equivalents that may be a better fit. Pretty sure Karl had some off at GF. Though memory of that is a little hazy. Stacking clearly isn't an option though unless you do a bit of wood work and make some form of cradle.
                            Simon
                            "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Just measuerd, the better bottle is 28cm and the shelve door won't close. I just fired off an email to the producer- lets see what they say.

If these PET cans are good, I'll be able to age 6 30 bottle kits. The plan is to age in 20L bottles then bottle half and decant the other half to the 10L bottle for further aging. Therefore, I have a nice mix of different wines to chose from.

Comment

Working...
                              X