No announcement yet.

Are these PET bottles good enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know what a Better bottle weights? Those PET cans weight about a pound or so. If they are similar weight, then the thickness of each should match.

Comment

Never mind, just found the specs. The better bottle (both 5 and 6 gallon- strangely enough) weight is 0.68kg while the weight is 0.49kg. I'm not sure if the cap is included, however the neck on the BB is larger so maybe they offset each other. Nonetheless Innnocan is roughly 1/3 the thickness assuming the area size is the same.

Fact is, I can have 4 2.5gal BB or if the Innocan are alrite, then 4 5gal and 4 2.5gal because the big BB are too wide for the shelve.

Comment

I think it is still worth testing one - it also depends on how fast you get through your kits.

As with all things what you need is 'enough'. Better bottles have been developed with winemaking in mind however if you are drinking your kits quite quickly, perhaps a more universal PET bottle might be sufficient.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Email back from Innocan, they are good for alcohol including wine. I think ill give it a try.

Comment

Quite impressed with Oipps website, seems good value. £9.95 for one 20 litre delivered is half the price of my pseudo bettabottle. The more you buy in one go the cheaper they become. Hmmm, cunning plan being hatched....
            Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

Originally posted by Original Mac View Post
              Quite impressed with Oipps website, seems good value. £9.95 for one 20 litre delivered is half the price of my pseudo bettabottle. The more you buy in one go the cheaper they become. Hmmm, cunning plan being hatched....
              Yes, same here and no it doesn't involve eating portions of "rat au van".....
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Yes indeed. Good find fella - good website.
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Wouldn't you need to add an airlock? Surely then they wouldn't be stackable?

Comment

Originally posted by Smiggs View Post
                    Wouldn't you need to add an airlock? Surely then they wouldn't be stackable?
                    If these are kit wines then they would be stabilised, any other wine not fermented to dry just need pottasium sorbate to inhibit any further yeastie activity. No airlock required. If you wanted to use one as a fermenter then you would need one extra cap suitably drilled and grommetted for an airlock.
                    Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

They are 20l which means I can bottle 4 bottles after filling it up. It will give me a chance to try as it ages without distrubing. When ready to bottle, I decant half to a 10l and bottle the rest. Perfect for the flat dweller!

Comment

Just put my order in! 4 x 20L and 4 x 10L

Comment

Originally posted by krakowmike View Post
                          Just put my order in! 4 x 20L and 4 x 10L
                          Excellent. Keep us updated as to how you get on when they arrive Mike.....
                          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

They came in two large boxes. They seem pretty good. Will post after filling them up.

Comment

My suggestion would be to start with one and give it a trial run for 6 months before filling the rest. If these containers ends up oxidising your wine, better one batch than several.
                              Steve

Comment

An update-

I just racked the Malbec that is currently in the 20L (going to bottle soon) and the bottle is clean. It did not retain any color or smell like the HDPE bottle did. The wine did not show any evidence of spoilage or oxidastion. So far so good guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X