No announcement yet.

All grain brew steeping sparging efficiency help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blimey I did this with a wheat beer, last week. I was paying too much attention to new shiny... and not enough attention to the recipe

My understanding is Irish Moss is to do with head retention.

So I did nothing. I will have headless wheat beer !!
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Calling Jakey - any ideas?
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
        blimey I did this with a wheat beer, last week. I was paying too much attention to new shiny... and not enough attention to the recipe

My understanding is Irish Moss is to do with head retention.

So I did nothing. I will have headless wheat beer !!
        Ah .... ok

I thought is was to break down proteins to stop that 'apple' type haze you could get in beer.

Although I always seem to get a nice head on my beer and crystal clear without any clearing agents
        Malc

Comment

Originally posted by malcmackenzie View Post
          Hello All

Help required

I did another 5 gal brew last night and all went well efficiency etc

However I now wake up this morning and realize that I forgot the Irish moss at the 15 min point. So what can I do about it? It is a fairly dark beer 75 EBC according to beer engine.

If I reboil then I will spoil the hops would a little pectolase in the ferment help? Or fine on barreling which I have never needed to do before. Or just forget it and fingers crossed?
          Hello All

I can report that I barreled this brew a few days ago and fined it with Isinglass it has cleared very well and almost looks polished and a great head.

I did another brew yesterday and only hit 67% on the efficiency.

So I now see Brians point with the mash temp as I pitched the water at 75c and it finished at 67c I had insulated my cooler a bit more so just need to get used to it.

However the taste mouth feel etc of the barreled brew is so much better.

So thanks for help everyone it looks as if I am on my way to a new level.

By the way I am not drinking all this myself I am having the boys round over Christmas period.
          Malc

Comment

Someone has also suggested using Amylase enzyme in the mash.

I have only found this in winemaking shops in powdered or liquid form.

Can anyone give me more info on this please? use amounts etc? will it work properly in teh 90 mins mash time?
            Malc

Comment

Good question. This answers it I think.

... And my question about watery beer earlier!!

Comment

Hi

Can someone tell me would you use yeast nutrient in an all grain ale top fermenting yeast?
                Malc

Comment

Never used nutrient in any beer I've made. Wort is an ideal medium for yeast...

Comment

^^what he said, & from everything I have read & research - there is no need

Comment

Hi All

Many thanks for the reply.

I have just put a brew on and last September I got hold of some Ringwood yeast from the brewery and found a tutorial on making up Agar Agar slants growing a little bit of the yeast on them and then storing them in the fridge.

So I got one out and over a week made up a starter from it and pitched this in the wort.

It is now bubbling away very healthily on the surface looking like a creamy moonscape.

If I were to top crop this for my next brew next week would this be an idea? If so how would I do it?

Perhaps just skim some off into another starter and keep it going for a week?
                      Malc

Comment

Oh and by the way the brew I spoke off earlier in this post that stalled in fermenting went off in the barrell.

First time that has ever happened to me. It conditioned ok and presured up but it just smelled and tasted ever so slightly vinegary.

So the lot went down the sink 5 gallons in all.
                        Malc

Comment

Did you have a bit of headspace and acetobacter got in ??

Comment

There is some head space and I just have a fermenting bin for beer with the lid not clicked tightly on.

Think I will click the lid down tight and get an air lock in future.

What do you think?
                            Malc

Comment

I think the problem is not during fermentation. I think it is later in storage. I have had a keg go off, but never bottles.
                              Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 01-02-2014, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Hello Brian and all

I have just done another brew and sparged in my converted cooler pitch in at 73c stir around 11 ltrs water 4kgs grain 90 mins and closing temp 64-65c

Bang on!! and the grain only wort is 1.038 giving 74% efficient 3.6%

So Brian thanks for your help that's the best conversion I have ever had.

Now for the boil fuggles in today

Certainly proves the point with the temperature.
                                Malc

Comment

Working...
                                X