Grape skin & seed flour?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grape skin & seed flour?!

Does anyone know if this is available in the uk, was wanting to try adding some to a beaverdale kit...... thoughts & comments please.

cheers
    Adam
    Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

No and No.

Grapes seeds are something you take great care to not even crack when you are processing fresh grapes because they contain flavours and compunds you don't want in your wine.

The thought of adding them finely ground is the stuff of horror movies.

Someone once said " 'could do' does not mean 'should do' " (or something similar)
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
      No and No.

Grapes seeds are something you take great care to not even crack when you are processing fresh grapes because they contain flavours and compunds you don't want in your wine.

The thought of adding them finely ground is the stuff of horror movies.

Someone once said " 'could do' does not mean 'should do' " (or something similar)

Thanks CR, you have confirmed my thoughts about the seed flour, but what about the skins flour which I was more interested in, would it add greater colour and body? similar to a skins pack on a high end wine kit.

Comment

Ooer. I thought they were the same thing.
        Flour - grape or otherwise will probably be tough to clear. It will have other stuff in it - anti caking agents etc
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

That was the way I viewed it, the skin flour has no seeds and the seed flour has no skins.

Good point about potential anti caking agents, also what effect would these have on the wine a quick google revealed a long list of potentials from the ok ie bentonite to the scary sounding ....... Sodium ferrocyanide! although I believe tiny amounts of pottasium ferrocyanide are used in 'blue fining' to remove excess iron and copper, but adding to much can release cyanide.

Would the drying process have a negative effect on the skins if too much heat is used?

Comment

Hmm. What were you thinking of trying it with.

Comment

I have emailed them with a long list of questions, so waiting to hear back from them.

The local shop usually have 1gal pinot noir beaverdale kits instock but I would like to try a cab.s or a syrah aswell.

It all depends on the delivery charge from California as they may assume I live on the moon and charge accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Abervin View Post
                all depends on the delivery charge from California
                Good luck with that one I normally find USPS normally puts paid to ideas like this.

Comment

Working...
                X