• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skimming beer fermentations

To skim or not to skim that is the question:
    whether it is better to remove the foam
    The froth and scum of outrageous bitterness
    Or to take no heed of such advice
    and by leaving them to settle and to steep.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Leave it.

Comment

Leave it alone.
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

The beer or the creative writing.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

And a plagiarism to boot. Shakespeare would roll over in his grave if he saw this. Preferably both works for me. LOL

Comment

My latest brew seemed to give up at 1.012 and I have just skimmed all the brown muck off the top. Saying that the yeast wasn't looking too healthy with the bubbles on top looking colored like children s fairy liquid bubbles and had a very slight vinegar smell to it.

Now it looks to be building up a new head of top fermenting yeast however the vinegar smell is still there.

Any ideas?
            Malc

Comment

how long has it been on ?

Depending on your mash temp it is possible to quite a lot of unfermentable sugars - might this have happened?

Comment

This may have happened but in the boil when I add Irish Moss proteins clump up and fall to the bottom and you get a thick sludgy ring around the top edge of the boiler.

Its more the smell I am worried about.

Or do you think it,s not a problem? Just does not smell yeasty hoppy deliciousness
                Malc

Comment

what does it taste like ?

Comment

This SG is not unusual for some heavier beers to finish at some of my brown ales finish as high as 1.017. What concerns me is the vinegar smell. It sounds like anti-bactor bacteria to me. If this is the case your brew is drain cleaner. Skimming the foam off the top of a active ferment just increases the chance of the introduction of Bacteria to your brew. Beer has no way to protect it's self for bacteria as it has no sulphites and is a low alcohol content. Keeping it sealed reduces the ability of the bacteria to make contact with your beer as most bacteria is air borne.

Comment

Before I read this I skimmed off the top and gave it a good stir.. everything I should not do by the sound of it.

This morning I have a new yeast layer on the top healthy bubbling away and the smell has gone just smells of heavy co2.

Fingers crossed!!
                      Malc

Comment

Tastes ok and a sample out of the tub smells ok.

Thus yeast off!!
                        Malc

Comment

oooooooooooo I am getting all of my heads again

I think this was probably stuck - and perhap a stir got it going again ... I'm dying to know it turns out now !

Comment

I remove it as was given that advice from Frank Stead, who is an authority on such matters, him being a multi award winning beerr maker, and the trainer of a great many beer judges.

Taste it ....... and then decide if you want it in your fermentation

having said that, sometimes I forget and the beer turns out ok
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                              oooooooooooo I am getting all of my heads again

I think this was probably stuck - and perhap a stir got it going again ... I'm dying to know it turns out now !
                              Ok .... so today we read 1.010 so we have a restart and still going a little by the look of it. The 'Beer Engine' program forecasts a final of 1.006 so we shall see.

I can report it tastes great ...... already......... I think it's going to be a fine beer.
                              Malc

Comment

Working...
                              X