Gingerbeer Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gingerbeer Beer

Having made ginger beer ( ginger, lemons, sugar & water - ferment ) several times last year, on the whole was quite disappointed.
    It was very well ordinary - perhaps thin.

Thinking all grain brew I am wondering if there is a better drink to be made with a bit of maris otter.

Something along the lines of.
    19l batch
    Mash 3.5 kg Maris Otter (bit more beery flavour) @69° C - to get a higher proportion of unfermentable sugars (to get a sweeter finish)
    Boil for 60 mins and then use this (still still hot) as the base for the lemons and the ginger infusion?

I making this up as I go along ... Any thoughts or contributions please
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Lots of other herbs be used as a bittering agent and I can't see anything wrong with using ginger. Just need to consider the malt profile that would suit ginger... I would think something lighter on the malt side but that gives less margin for error on the bitterness. Alternatively you could do a big fat porter style and land anywhere between bitter and stout with the acid in the ginger and you'd be fine. Do ginger and liquorice go together?

Comment

Did you do this in the end CR? Was thinking of having a go myself...

Comment

Unfortunately not. Really got into wheat beers. I quite fancy doing ginger beer again but will try to find a GB 'plant' for my next go.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Delmonteman View Post
          Did you do this in the end CR? Was thinking of having a go myself...
          Yes. Just pitched.
          After a few more ginger beer disasters, I decided to revisit this idea.
          So far quite pleased. Based of a simple wheat beer that I have made before with lemon zest added 5 mins before flamout and Ginger added to Primary.

Watch this space.

PS Might have overdone the ginger...

Comment

Watching this space!

Comment

Most of primary completed - no ginger flavour what so ever. 88g at flame out (from frozen then finely sliced).

Chewing proves there has been little gignger extaction. (result was eeeek - spit)

Choices are: 15g Cascaded dry hopping in secondary. (safe option)
              or recover the ginger, blitz it and add that to secondary? (continue the pain of trying to ginger some beer)

Thoughts ?

Comment

Why 88g? I used 450g in one gallon of wine when I made ginger wine (and it had a good kick but could have had more). Is your quantity known to give the flavour you want? Ie is it based on other tested recipes?

Comment

I was aiming for 100g that was the actual when it was all prepared.

450 hmmm. How did you process it sliced-blitzed-grated?

Comment

Sliced, put in slow cooker with some water for an hour then strain, cool and add to must.

I didn't taste the ginger afterwards so don't know what my extraction rate was like but can certainly be tasted in the wine...

Comment

Slow cooker oooooo good idea.

I think the gingered wheat beer is the way to go..... The dry hopped (cascade) is going to be a winner.

Comment

Ok well give me an idea of your recipe and ill have a go myself. I have wheat malt extract, malt extract, cascade and ginger waiting in the wings!

Comment

Simple AG wheat beer with Ginger and lemon...

21l. 80m boil

2.3 kg wheat malt
                          2.2 kg Pilsner malt
                          30 g Tettnang hops (4.2 % alpha)
                          1 packet Safbrew WB06 yeast (wheat variety)
                          5g Irish moss
                          You will need to substitute this with extract.

Now heres the tricky blighters...
                          15 g Fresh lemon zest. Add at 5 minutes before end of boil
                          This is 2 large lemons or 3 small. Zested on a medium grater
                          100 g Fresh grated ginger at flameout.

I think this should have been 200g ginger and let it soak to 30 mins before chilling.
                          Next time I might use your slow cook extract method for ginger and lemon and then add into primary. This could even be done the day below.

I used the cascade for recovery - dry hopping - when the ginger and lemon didn't do much.
                          Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 05-07-2014, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X