Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bentonite...when to add

Hi guys,
    I am 9 days into making a Beaverdale Chardonay. Fermentation almost over; so I had a quick look at the instructions once again.DOH, just noticed that it says add bentonite 15mins before adding the yeast. Would it cause any problems if I added it to the wine at this stage.
    I did google it, and it said add after fermentation is complete.So not sure what to do now...please help

I would routinely add it once the ferment is completed. But have also seen kits where they say to add it before the yeast, so I'm guessing that it's more about adding it before the yeast so that it gets properly mixed into the must.

So I'd suggest that you mix it with some warm water first, not a lot, 50 - 100 mls and mix with a fork or small whisk. Let it cool to room temp and then stir it in gently.

It shouldn't cause a problem.....
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

My understanding is that when adding the bentonite post fermentation, you need to do a LOT of stirring to ensure that the bentonite circulates thoroughly and has an opportunity to "do it's thing".

BTW, bentonite reduces protein haze, and is more important with whites than reds.

Here is an article from Winexpert on bentonite.

Steve

update: I found that article at another site, and it appears to be from 2001. Back then some RJ Spagnols kits had large bags of bentonite that were added with the rest of the clearing agents, and then had to be stirred thoroughly. One advantage of doing it that way was that the stirring for the bentonite also helped to degas the wine.

Steve
      Last edited by cpfan; 17-12-2013, 06:54 PM.
      the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
      "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Working...
      X