X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Ferm temps

My wheat beer comes out fine at about 22-33c on SAF WB-06
    But I am wondering the same temp is too much for IPA's
    They all seem to have a very slight dark/dirty flavour both AG and Wherry kits. So it cannot be ingredients. The only common thing is temp.
    Not at all undrinkable - just a tang I don't want.
    It is not light struck. Happens to fresh beer in brown bottles.
    Softened the water by pre-boiling. No affect.

Thoughts anyone ?

What does over-oxidisation taste like ?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

You're fermenting the beer at 22 to 33c? at one temp, or is that the range it goes through? Why so high?

I was always led to believe that higher temps produce some off flavours, mine are all temp controlled to 21c throughout and taste great, using a variety of yeast.

Comment

oops

Completely misleading typo that should have said 22°C - 23°C (not 33) sorry

This is the average of my fermentation temperature - which I think might be spiking a little high.

The flavour I am referringr to could also be called the taste of "tinned beer"
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Hi graham

I get similar results to yours when fementing AG and Wherry on unconditioned or boiled and cooled tap water. If I boil, add gypsum and epsom salts, coll and decant off the scale and brew with that I get a much better tasting brew. I just follow Graham wheelers methods. But then the water here is hard as nails.

I don't think oxidation is your problem unless your brews are months old as oxidised beer (and cider) is most unpleasant and I don't think you would want to drink it.

I ferment in the 20-25 range where possible. Above that and you can get butterscotch and pear drop flavours as 2ndary fermentation products.

good luck

http://markblades.com
        Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
        These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

I think I might have found the source of the problem. this is a process error.

Very slight DMS. I boil day one and then put the lid back on & allow to cool (like many Australians) and then ferment today two.

I was under the impression that DMS was only produced during the boil, after further investigation tells me that this is not strictly true. It is produced while the wort is hot. Thus, it is still being produced in my closed container while cooling (explaining a mild rather than major problem).

I have railed against water coolers - just because it makes brew day longer. However, I have decided, frozen solid pop bottles might be the answer.

New process: End of boil - Chuck in 4 frozen pop bottles. Put lid on. Walk away.

Comment

Working...
          X