Elderberry experiments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderberry experiments

From a good elderberry harvest in 2013 I have now put them to use.

From frozen 5.4kg went into 9l water and cold soaked for a few days as they slowly thawed, with pectolase added after 1st day.
    This was then made upto 20l with water and sugar, but only 25% of the pulp was retained and fermented untill being removed at sg 1010 approx 3 days. Meanwhile the other 75% of pulp was made up to 10l with water and sugar and open fermented seperatly down to an sg of 992.
    I then closed the lid and started a "co2 donar ferment" to provide anerobic conditions for another 2 weeks, during which I have stired and tasted it every day. This was a total maceration time of 28 days.

So now both have been racked for aging, the first is quite light and fruity, the second is more robust but still with a taste of fruity elderberry, however now I can't detect the curious elderberry taste or smell, but after cold soaking I could.

My plan now is to blend these together and possible some blackcurrant wine when they have aged for some months.
    Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

Not enough elderberries, thats like 11 pounds in 5 gallons, 20 pounds would be much better, at least 3 to 4 pounds/gal for a good elderberry taste, you can go all the way to 100% elderberry, if you got the berries. WVMJ
    WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

Comment

Working...
    X