Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young's Country Definitive

Hi Folks
    Does anyone know what the OG is on this, or the final ABV if the instructions are followed exactly.

Thanks

Matt

Matt,

In sort - I don't - but what are you trying to do?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Last night I decided to make this kit. I had four of them and decided to do them all in the FV. It is the 7th or 8th kit that I have done but the 1st that doesn’t give the OG on the instructions. Also it doesn’t give enough information on the ingredients to work it out.

The main reason for the question is that if I have 25 bottles of something, I would like to know as much as I can about it.

Thanks

Matt.

Comment

What does it say in the instructions? (on the reverse of the label if I remember correctly

I believe sugar additions are required for this kit, and because you are adding the sugar, you decide what the start SG is, I would make it no more than 1.080

hope that helps
        regards
        bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

The instructions are to add 500g of sugar, so that is what I have done x 4 I have emailed Young's and will hopefully get an answer in the morning.

Thanks

Comment

What is the SG currently?
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Well, I realise that this was a mistake, as I could have worked it out retrospectively, but I didn't take a reading initially as the instructions direct you to top up after 3 days. I now realise that if I had taken the OG I could have worked it out... However I didn't!

Matt

Comment

ah....

it wontr have been far away from 1.080 i am pretty sure, however, someone will make one soon and i am sure take the SG

(will look see if i have one)

regards
                bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks Bob. One other thing that has confused me with these instructions is;

'when the bubbles have stopped, check that fermentation is complete with a hydrometer. It should have a constant reading of 1.002 or below'

Why would this not continue fermenting untlil .990?

Thanks

Matt

Comment

It has just been pointed out that the description covers a number of different kits So to clarify the kit that this relates to is the Strawberry wine.

Cheers everybody.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by MattN View Post
                      Thanks Bob. One other thing that has confused me with these instructions is;

'when the bubbles have stopped, check that fermentation is complete with a hydrometer. It should have a constant reading of 1.002 or below'

Why would this not continue fermenting untlil .990?

Thanks

Matt
                      All yeasts have a maximum tolerance i.e. % ABV that they'll achieve. So I'd have thought it'd be highly likely, that they've worked in on a basis of the kit plus X amount of sugar, would give a gravity of Y...... plus a yeast that will give Z % ABV, so they can say that it should be a constant 1.002 or lower (and 0.990 is lower)

There's a direct correlation between the gravity and how many points drop during the ferment and the strength it's achieved - Bob has an alcohol conversion chart in the wine section.......
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Ahh, that makes a bit more sense.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

IMHO, some of these Young's kits are better a bit sweeter. The strawberry, gooseberry and elderflower for instance. The instructions give a rough gravity for the various kinds of wine. I stop mine before they get too dry. Some of mine have got down to 0.990 when I've forgotten about them.

Comment

Working...
                          X