Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potassium Metabisulphite a.k.a. Kadifit.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potassium Metabisulphite a.k.a. Kadifit.......

Got a kilo bag from Vigo, can anyone give me the numbers for the usual 50ppm for 1 imp gallon ?

Do I need to actually dissolve it first, or can I just weigh it out and add it - before, or most likely after a quick stir (don't want any booze fountains from DJ's etc).

Also, I usually use CJJJJJJJJJJJJJ's home mixed sanitiser, which is 5 crushed campden tabs and 1 tsp of citric in a pint of water, so presumably once I know how much to use for a gallon, it's the same as 1 campden tablet, and would just need to times that by 5 ?

Sorry for idiot question, but it's the first time I've used powdered sulphites........

TVM
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Excellent choice

In wine 10 – 15 g in 100 L comes out between 50 – 75 mg/so2/l

I use .8g (nought point eight) in 1 gallon.

You need some of those special scales.- often found on local drug dealers
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

1/4 tsp per 5 gallons

or make a 10% solution and add 5ml of that pergallon
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Ah...... looks like the 1kg bag might last a while then........

the 10% solution ? Wos that 10 grammes in 100ml of water ? Or does it need more zeros or decimal points (sorry, very early ATM)....
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

pretty much .. 10 grams made up to 100ml with water
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
            Ah...... looks like the 1kg bag might last a while then........

the 10% solution ? Wos that 10 grammes in 100ml of water ? Or does it need more zeros or decimal points (sorry, very early ATM)....
            The problem here lies in the longevity of the product. With in a year the sulfite will loose half of it's strength. Sulfite and sorbate both age poorly. It is allways better to buy these in smaller fresh quantities.
            http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

You do have to be careful with this stuff. If you keep it well, it will certainly last a second year - I have done this in the past. The trick is good storage. Open it for the minimum amount of time ( seconds) just long enough to take out what you need.

I keep mine in an airtight tub in a fridge in the dark. When it is replaced I use it as washing/sterilising solution - there is certainly still enough to make you cough your lungs inside out.

Comment

I typically go through a couple of 1 lb bags of sulphite in a year. But I use it for both sanitation, as well as an ingredient. To ensure a longer lasting (and more effective) sanitizing solution, you can include citric acid in the mix. I make up a gallon of sanitizer at a time. Six months later, it will still snap your head back if you happen to get a whiff.
                Steve

Comment

Yes, I too intend breaching the pack for both sanitising and ingredient. I'm thinking that I might vacuum seal half and freeze or chill.

CJJJJJ's sanitiser is 5 crushed campden tablets and a teaspoon of citric in a pint of water, hence working out how much represents 1 campden tablet. I've got druggie scales anyway as I aim for about 350 to 400 ppm nitrogen for my stronger meads and that needs weighing out......

A gallon of sanitiser might be a bit much for me at a time, but I suspect if I get a concertina bottle (photo chem storange), it should keep it potent enough......

It's just a case of working out the strength for those two uses, not being familiar with powdered sulphites at the moment....

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Ok, so I'm being rather thick here.

Taking the PM that Rab (oliver90owner) sent with the calculation of 1 imp gallon being 4.54 litres - fine I get that, then to work out 1 part per million and dividing 4540g by 1000000, to give me 1 ppm, then multiplying that by 50 to get the standard amount into a gallon/4.54 litres, would be 0.227 grammes, so a quarter of a gramme should give me about the 50 ppm normally associated with using 1 crushed campden tablet.

Equally, 1.25 gramme dissolved in 500mls of water, with 1 tsp of citric to make up CJJ's home brew sanitiser.

Does that sound right or have I missed the point.

I know it's a pain, me harping on about the numbers, especially when it can be a little less accurate and still come out Ok, it's just so that I get the numbers in my head and I don't have to keep getting a pad and paper or calculator out before I reach for the scales.....

TVM

regards

John....

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Now more confusingly, the ERBSLOH data sheet says 10g of Kadifit in 100 Kg/L of must equals 50mg/L which I believe is the same as 50 ppm (god I wish there was a common system of counting/units).

Is that correct......

Cos if it is, then its 10g in 100L or 1g in 10L so 0.45g in 1 imp gallon is about right. I can easily measure that out likewise using 2g in 500ml of water is close enough to CJJ's sanitiser (with the tsp of citric of course)......

Some blog ramblings

Comment

John this might help.

50ppm - 50 mg/l

I use exactly the same product, as a rule of thumb - 8g POWDER will treat 50L wine.

Comment

Working...
                        X