Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackberry, bullace, elderberry, blackcurrant, banana, currant - massive success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackberry, bullace, elderberry, blackcurrant, banana, currant - massive success!

Really pleased with this freezer clean-out, has turned out to be the best 'garden wine' (red) I've made.

Stronger in blackcurrant flavours than a commercial wine, but a bit like the cotes du rhone, easy, quaffable. Though has that strong flavour, there are very few blackcurrants in it:

Made 12 bottles (2DJs) Started June 13

Ingredients
    Blackberry (froz) 900g
    Bullace (froz) 900g
    Elderberry (froz) 500g
    Blackcurrant (froz) 200g
    Dried Currants 400g (note currants, not raisins, currants are from black grapes)
    Ripe banana
    2kg sugar
    2 tsp pectolaze
    2.5 tsp tronozymol

Procedure
    Stoned bullaces
    Add all fruit & mash
    blitz currants put in 1L of almost boiling water for 5 mins, add to must
    Add 3L out of date red grape juice
    Dissolve 2 kg sugar (had worked out how much to add to get to 1.100)
    Estimate solids 1.5L, make up to 11.5 L
    Add 2 tsp pectolaze, 2.ftsp tronozymol, 1 vit B tablet
    mash banana add a little boiling water mash more and add
    SG 1.100 Brix 25%
    + 2cmpdn
    leave overnight

Pitch Lalvin RC212 in 1-DJ and Harvest Vintners CL23 in the other
    Stir 2-3 times daily
    When 1.015 through grape press into 2 DJ plus top-up bottle

racked & added contents of top-up. campden tablet (no sorbate) wine finings and a good shaking.

Cold winter storage threw a large deposit of tartaric crystals in the DJs (about 0.5 - 1.0 cm)
    Tasted on bottling March 14 - really smooth & delicious. Drank the spare 1/2 bottle quite drinkable now (it wasn't before cold stabilisation)
    Champagne yeast slightly better for my taste - the RC212 had left a hint more sweetness reminiscent of a thin port.
    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Ha...... sounds like one of my efforts......

personally I wouldn't have blitzed the fruit, just freeze then thaw then add it.

as for the yeast difference, no surprise there champoo yeast will have dried it out more than the RC212.....

good to read its come out well.....
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
    X