PET Beer bottle - Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PET Beer bottle - Really?

Has anyone else tried these - 'Coopers' 500ml PET plastic bottles.

I 'WAS' thinking of having a go but early info seems quite negative....

Screw caps - need replacing more often that expected and fail in use
    Crown caps - don't work in a bench capper - hand capper only
    All are not very stable - and tip overs disturb sediment.
    They have a tendency to 'crumple' on bottle rinsers.

Is anyone using these successfully?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

I tried a batch of the 500ml PET bottles. They work OK but are IMO more trouble than they are worth. Can't steam sterilise them as they melt. Also, by the time you've screwed on 40 odd caps you may as well have crown capped glass bottles instead. Also, you get blisters from screwing on the plastic caps after about 10 gals. Didn't know you could crown cap the coopers bottles? The Coopers crown caps work fine in my bench capper on normal beer bottles.

The only use I have for the plastic bottles now is to add a couple into my bottling run. They harden up as the carbonate so give an indication as to how early you can start drinking your brew!

http://markblades.com
    Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
    These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

I have a couple of boxes. Fact is plastic IS useful, even though it's a bit more hard work. I have an event later in the year I'll be taking beer and wine to, but can't have glass on the grounds. In that sense they are very useful.

I've not found them crumpling on the bottle rinser Bri, you sure you're not being heavy handed?

The negatives I've found are that they are more difficult to clean. Being plastic if you use anything that could stratch the insides they are more likely to pick up microbes. They also retain smells, no matter how much you clean them.

Crown caps on plastic bottles? You got a link for what you mean?
      With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

I have an event later in the year I'll be taking beer and wine to, but can't have glass on the grounds. In that sense they are very useful.
        Get it! Good idea.

Here is the link to the crown cork version. For these they recommend only hand capper not a bench capper

The only use I have for the plastic bottles now is to add a couple into my bottling run. They harden up as the carbonate so give an indication as to how early you can start drinking your brew!
        I wish I'd thought of that !! I have been doing some trials on long refrigerated secondary fermentation. That would have been ideal.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I've used similar bottles for making soft drinks. The bottles have little "legs" (for lack of a better word) on the base that trap the sediment. I suppose they would also work well if you had a CO2 bottling setup.

Can't say I'm a big fan of them, though.
          Steve

Comment

I like that "legs" - good word and I think it is that particular feature that makes them less stable.

Interesting you have mentioned a CO2 setup, for bottling bright. I was tempted by this, but quite frankly extended cold maturation (4 weeks) drops a MASSIVE amount of the primary fermentation skuzz. If the secondary fermentation is with a good yeast it almost paints itself to the bottom of the glass. They travel okay, and pour all but the last half a teaspoon.

Extended cold maturation also seems to improve the flavour - and the fermentation continues !?!? (not got to the bottom of that yet!)

Can't say I'm a big fan of them, though
            Yeh. I am coming round to that way of thinking.

Randy Mosher has a lot to answer for - brilliant book!! Really enjoying my beer making.

Comment

Working...
            X