Grain grinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grain grinders

Has anyone bought a grinder a crushed their own malt instead of "ready crushed".

Is there any benefit to quality?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
    Has anyone bought a grinder a crushed their own malt instead of "ready crushed".

Well I'd have thought it gives you the choice of the grade of grind you get from your own grist mill. Also isn't it cheaper if it's whole/unground ?
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

This allows you to buy grain in a larger quantity. Grain is cheaper to buy that way. Some places actually charge for cracking your grain for you. Cracked grain has a very limited storage time. Having a grain mill opens up a lot of possibilities for the owner. The only possible downer to it is you need to make a lot of beer to make it worth while. Like putting a new heating system in your home it takes a certain period to get payback for the investment.
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Koomber and I both have a crusher from www.crankandstein.net

Whole grain lasts longer, and you can get a better consistency from having the right/same amount of husks to flour every time.

It's also fun, and I like gadgets.

Comment

Rich,

Hmm. www.crankandstein.net thats interesting. I have a basic cast iron unit (for something else) that looks a bit like a meet mincer. And I have to say it is terrible. 4.5Kg would take days to grind.

Which crankandstein do you have and how good is it please?
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Not sure about any cost gain.
            A 25kg bag of crushed is normally only £1 more... and I have certainly kept (cool & dark) it for a year with no obvious degradation.

Comment

Not sure about any cost gain.
              A 25kg bag of crushed is normally only £1 more... and I have certainly kept (cool & dark) it for a year with no obvious degradation.
              +1 to that. Crushed grain lasts long enough for it not to be an issue for homebrew in my opinion. It should also be consistently enough crushed to get a good filter bed if you fly sparge so unless it's a gadget you want then I wouldn't be bothered for the hassle!

Comment

Well was gonna say that there is one on offer through the current Brouwland mailer.

Though it now sounds moot !.....
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Rich,

Hmm. www.crankandstein.net thats interesting.

Which crankandstein do you have and how good is it please?
                  I have a 2 roller version, but I went for the stainless rollers.

It's very good, it crushes grain a treat. I'll try and get a video of it in action next time I use it. I'd dreamt up all sorts of fancy ways of making it motorised, but in the end I just use a cordless drill on it and it's fine.

Comment

I got a old Commercial Coffee Grinding Machine. I have the jaws set so it just breaks the grain and does not make four. I can do a bag in a few minutes. Roller crackers work best though a buddy of mine has one and all it does is open the husk absolutely no flour he also gets a better efficiency than I do. If you are using the one I think you are it is slow and a lot of work.
                    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Hmm. I think I might abstain.

On the subject of brewland - The floor standing corker and capper is a PITA. Only a good buy if you also own a TIG welder!!

Comment

Working...
                      X