Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grapefest Date

Hi all

Sorry for the delay in the announcement, my life has become somewhat hectic recently!

The date for Grapefest 2014 will be Saturday September 20th

Usual Friday night curry beforehand for those interested.

Details to follow.

Need to ask, how would we like to schedule things this year?

Open to suggestions

regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 18-06-2014, 11:24 AM. Reason: Typo's
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post

Need to ask, how would we like to schedule things this year?
    Bob - great news. Personally I like the format of:

Early morning - breakfast, everyone chipping in support (financial and work)
    Early-ish morning - prep and wash down equipment, everyone mucking in.
    Late morning - grapes arrive - crush/destem/press, everyone helping with processing/clear up/burn-up/tea making/preparing evening meals.
    Working through lunch - lunch run done for everyone by people who are not engaged on above activities.
    Mid afternoon - wine talks/tasting. Perhaps for this year we could do a videoed panel lead discussion which we could then post up or a question time type thing? This might save anyone from having to do a presentation - unless there are some volunteers.
    Possible talk/panel ideas:
    Encouraging new winemakers to the party.
    Must adjustment/adjuncts to grape wine.
    Achieving balance in non-grape wine.
    Virtual wine circle - where to next?
    Evolving the hobby?
    Is selling wine ever a possibility for the amateur winemaker?
    Vine pruning/care - fundamentals?

Or a wine quiz (pub style in teams)? If anyone likes that idea I can put one together.

Late afternoon+ raffle, wine tasting, eat, wine-tasting, near professional quality sing-a-long for make glorious benefit of Bob's neighbours, wine tasting, wine tasting.

Starter for 10?
    Simon
    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Excellent. Can see if I can book the time at work now......
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post

Early-ish morning - prep and wash down equipment, everyone mucking in.
        Late morning - grapes arrive - crush/destem/press, everyone helping with processing/clear up/burn-up/tea making/preparing evening meals.
        Working through lunch - lunch run done for everyone by people who are not engaged on above activities.
        Mid afternoon - wine talks/tasting. Perhaps for this year we could do a videoed panel lead discussion which we could then post up or a question time type thing? This might save anyone from having to do a presentation - unless there are some volunteers.
        Possible talk/panel ideas:
        Encouraging new winemakers to the party.
        Must adjustment/adjuncts to grape wine.
        Achieving balance in non-grape wine.
        Virtual wine circle - where to next?
        Evolving the hobby?
        Is selling wine ever a possibility for the amateur winemaker?
        Vine pruning/care - fundamentals?

Or a wine quiz (pub style in teams)? If anyone likes that idea I can put one together.

Late afternoon+ raffle, wine tasting, eat, wine-tasting, near professional quality sing-a-long for make glorious benefit of Bob's neighbours, wine tasting, wine tasting.

Starter for 10?
        Sounds good Simon - this, or something similar gets my vote!!!
        "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post

Now this bit stands out to me
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
            Excellent. Can see if I can book the time at work now......
            It is mandatory that you attend John!

20th is good for me (weekend off) and might even make the Friday night curryfest for the 1st time.
            National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S View Post
              20th is good for me (weekend off) and might even make the Friday night curryfest for the 1st time.
              We are going to need considerably more wine.
              Simon
              "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

I propose Simon as Chair of the Burning Everything sub-committee
                Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Well, I won't be able to attend this year again.

Good news is though, I'm getting a move to Humberside airport in the new year, So will be living at lot more local very soon!

Comment

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend this year

We are having an extension built at present which will not be finished until late October and the builder has taken over my winery/garage for storing tools and materials. Also with the cost of the building work I would have trouble justifying the cost of Grapefest and on top of that Brian still has frozen grapes stored for me from last year which I must get around to fermenting this Autumn.

Comment

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                      Unfortunately I won't be able to attend this year

We are having an extension built at present which will not be finished until late October and the builder has taken over my winery/garage for storing tools and materials. Also with the cost of the building work I would have trouble justifying the cost of Grapefest and on top of that Brian still has frozen grapes stored for me from last year which I must get around to fermenting this Autumn.
                      Oi.........

That excuse is copyrighted by me

It's why I've only just finished getting my frozen grapes sorted.........

And I still made it last year (during our build).......
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

All winemakers need an extension. Comes with the job...
                        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Can I ask those who are attending to give me a guestimate of how many boxes you are likely to need?

It looks like we are back to the old formula.....van hire and stupid early set off on Saturday morning

I need to sort out the transportation arrangements

regards
                          Bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.
                          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Will be 5 for me
                            National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Sorry folks, no chance of making it down this year but I will open a bottle of last years merlot and salute the effort you guys put in. Just wish I had more time to spare last year when I was down in your neck of the woods.
                              If I can find time, I will try and find time to source wine grapes in Glasgow's fruit market. Unfortunately due to other commitments I will probably miss this years opportunity. However, if the market starts business early enough in the morning I could be persuaded to do a recce mission or better

Comment

Working...
                              X