No announcement yet.

Grapefest Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shiraz might be a little iffy ( moofah he calls it, but it's the fluffy white strands we occasionally see....)

if there are any serious issues we will swap to the tempranillo

or there may be some Sangiovese available, will try to update as we go, but can't promise.

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Good luck today/tomorrow guys. I am gutted that I will miss this years harvest but will follow your ferments with envy.

Rob

Comment

Grapes are unloaded, awaiting mid-hangover processing tomorrow
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Well, rather than start another GF14 thread, I'll just tag this on the end.

A mega thanks to all who did organising stuff. I hope my presence (apart from the drinking, eating and gobbing off part) was of some tiny assistance.

It was wonderful to see all the attendee's again (nice to meet Neil for a first time). A thoroughly enjoyable weekend. Shame some of the regulars couldn't make it. I even managed to learn a few things that (if I can remember to use them) might help with the small amount of actual wine I make.

Ha! still lots of questions, but I know where to ask them anyway

Finally, sorry if Mr Hirst (to finally reveal who put the "extra flavour" in the Chilli) used too big a teaspoon (I'd have gone for a half a teaspoon if it'd been me) of the paste - It was lovely anyway (just call me "Billy two bowls" ). And to those who have a jar, for them to remember, that it is "hot as QUACK" (ha, I beat the swear filter with that). So caution is good and it will last at least 6 months if kept in the fridge (lots of oil, vinegar, vodka etc for natural preservative - and pasteurised).

I haven't pitched my yeast yet, but the colour/flavour retention stuff I got from Karl said about 24 hours - I also added the last bit of Rohapect that I had here too, not knowing the difference between the two differently named, but seemingly similar products. No sign of natural ferment or anything yet, so I must have used enough sulphite, with my 1tsp of 10% per gallon of pulp.........

Hope Bob/Neils musical thing yesterday went well.
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Yes, thanks to Bob for the hospitality, and Martina for putting up with us .

Chilli was spot-on IMO.

I have just the 35 litres of Airen (white), so far refusing to ferment. I'm hoping it's a combination of low temperatures and 'adequate' sulphiting, rather than dud D47, but I have fired up a 3-year-out-of-date 71B just in case.
            Pete the Instructor

Comment

+1 all that.
              Yes - the Airen is struggling. I have fired some GV5 in this afternoon. I think it is the cold.
              Simon
              "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

PS. Do you have some numbers on the Airen?

1.064 SG, lack of acid.
                Raised to 1.074 and some acid blend.
                Last edited by SiSandrine; 23-09-2014, 06:14 PM.
                Simon
                "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

No acid numbers Simon. I saw the same SG and have raised it to about the same. I'll adjust acid at the end.
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

GrapeFest must have been somewhat quiet this year. Normally I see videos of drunken hijinx and merriment.

None of that this year?
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                      GrapeFest must have been somewhat quiet this year. Normally I see videos of drunken hijinx and merriment.

None of that this year?
                      I think the few taken are on Facebook Steve, not as lively as previous years as many regulars couldn't make it, however still a great evening.
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Question for those who have made the Grenache... how do you find the quality to be? The reason I ask is that we have a supplier here importing frozen Spanish musts, including Grenache, Syrah/Shiraz, Tempranillo, Carignan, and Merlot.

I already bought a bunch of Tempranillo this year, but was thinking Grenache might be nice.
                        Steve

Comment

Hi Steve - here is my view. I have attempted also to take a picture showing the current status of the extraction which since Saturday was cold soaked until Tuesday and yeast pitched Tuesday evening and temperature raised. Grenache Must.jpg Nice strong cap at 28c at the moment.
                          Bob had the original Brix figure - it was high (my recollection was 24 but Bob may correct). I should have taken SG yesterday but basically hoping for the figures from Bob (I have told myself off).
                          The grapes were in good condition. Very little mould, nice strong clusters. Acidity by taste was fine - I will verify after pressing. The grapes were clearly very ripe when we got them, nice brown pips etc.
                          This is fairly consistent with what I received last year - which may have come from the same source (they were at least Spanish Garnacha).
                          I personally love the flavour of Grenache and the heady fruity smell it gives off after crushing and during ferment. This years I intend to blend with the Tempranillo which I find can be a little leathery? on its own. I haven't really decided on last years yet as it is still bulk ageing. I'll try some and post my view of the results early next week.
                          Steve - sorry not overly scientific but a couple of others had some so see if they concur at least.
                          Simon

Comment

That's good info - cheers, Simon!

I love Grenache as well, but my usual source came up dry this year. As mentioned above I have Tempranillo on order and would like to make a Spanish type blend with Grenache. I also have Syrah and Mourvedre, so with the addition of Grenache I would have all the components needed to make a Chateauneuf-du-pape style.

If I can't find another option, I will order some of the Spanish. It's a little spendy, but the fact that it's come 4500 miles may have something to do with that.
                            Steve

Comment

Grenache OK - often comes up a bit thin on its own. Good blender. Bests on BM4x4 IMO
                              Syrah/Shiraz - splendid - often higher tannins
                              Tempranillo (2011) was best in cellar this year. Well rounded nice oak.
                              Merlot always a sound performer. Good on BDX

All benefit from a good oaking in primary 6-8g per liter (other volumetric measures also availabale )
                              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I have Tempranillo on order from my source in Washington state, which I'm very much looking forward to. I didn't realize until just recently, but they grow some truly splendid Tempranillo there (and actually Syrah, too) that ranks right up there with some of the plantings in Spain, as far as quality. I bought some California Tempranillo a few years ago that was awful. Thin, light colored, and a lot of green flavors. Not the right climate for that grape I guess. I'm binning it to reuse the bottles. That's how bad it was.

Funny year this has been for me. All season long I've been hearing "early this and early that" but it's almost October and I have yet to see a single red grape, so I envy you guys. Maybe next week.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X