Thread: Carmarthenshire/Swansea

Default Carmarthenshire/Swansea

Hi everyone,

I'm Dan, 26 and in the next few weeks I will be moving to Ammanford.

I've been making wine from kits for the last 4 years or so.

To my delight, there is a huge grape vine in the greenhouse of the property I've purchased. I'm not sure what variety of grape is growing on the vine - I'll have a better look when we have moved in.

I'd love to make my own wines from scratch using grapes, but to be honest I have no idea where to start. I'm pretty sure it will be a big learning curve from making wine with kits.

I'm wondering if there is anyone in the local area who would be willing to advise or teach me the basics of making wines from grapes, or if there any group/homebrew circle in the Carmarthenshire/Swansea area as I would love to join one!

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

Welcome aboard. Kettering to Ammanford. Blimey.
    Red or white grapes?

A few photos "might" help us identify them for you.

I can recommend a SUPER book to get you started winemaking, but you also need to pay attention to the vines. Grapes don't grow on trees you know

Any questions we will all help.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free you gotta love this red wine diet!

Hi there!

Thanks for your warm welcome!

Yes, back to the motherland! Moved away 8 years ago and lived all over - Aberdeen, Kettering (and now actually Catterick Garrison at present as my partner's in the forces). Will be nice to a call a place "home".

To be honest, we were that caught up by the house, I didn't actually have a good look at the vine (kicking myself now, but it's all mine a week Friday) Will be sure to post pictures - would really appreciate your help in determining what they are. According to the previous owner, the vine was there when they moved in several years ago, and they are supposedly "winemaking grapes".

Would also really appreciate your recommendations on literature. I do have one of the earliest editions of C J J Berry's "First Steps in Winemaking" which my Dad has passed on to me.

Dan

Dan,

Every so often a book comes out that nails it. For fresh grape wine making IMO that book is

The Way to Make Wine: How to Craft Superb Table Wines at Home Paperback by Sheridan Warrick

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Way-Make...n+warwick+wine

The good news is you will have chance to moving before harvest - probably end September early October.
    I would let it do its own thing thing year - just pick of any gammy bunches.
    You are better to have a fewer bigger bunches - than keep everything and get lots of small ones. Remember we are trying to get juice not (necessarily) lots of grape skin.

From a single vine expect 1 - 2 gallons max.

December - January- February time is the time for pruning - but by then, you should have read a really good book on it (I will have a look in the library) and you can look forward to a good crop next year, from an established vine.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free you gotta love this red wine diet!

Hi Dan,
    My names Dave and I'm a ...... whoops, wrong forum ........
    I'm down the road in Swansea and more than happy to lend a hand. I've made my own wine from grapes for that last couple of years and I've got a press and my new crusher is due soon which your welcome to make use of for your first bash. I'm busy collecting blackberries at the moment - excellent crop this year - and hope to find some elder in the next few weeks. busy busy busy!
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Hi Cellar (really sorry don't know you're first name?)... I've purchased a copy of that book, will get stuck in to it, thanks!

And Dave, really chuffed you're in the "area" and willing to help, over the moon thank you! Will let you guys know when I'm in and settled, and of course take a better look at this vine.