Damson Wine Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damson Wine Problems

Hi, I'm hoping to get some pointers on what might have gone wrong with the damson wine I tried to make. I followed this recipe found in the book "booze for free" by Andy hamilton.

2Kg damsons
    225g raisins
    1Kg sugar
    4L water
    1tsp yeast nutrient
    1tsp pectolase
    1 campden tablet
    burgundy wine yeast

The steps i've followed are:

1.Wash damsons/mash up in a fermentation bin/add 3L boiling water/add pectolase and camden tablet/leave for 24 hrs.
    2.Dissolve sugar in remaining 1L water and add to must/Add yeast and nutrient/cover and leave for 10 days.
    3.Strain into demijohn. After 1 month taste and add more sugar if necessary.

So at this 1 month point the wine tastes very sour and generally unpleasant. I made two batches with damsons picked from different trees and both batches taste the same. I was hoping someone might know where I could've gone wrong, maybe this is a common problem when something hasnt been done right?

I've successfully made 3 or 4 batches of mead before but this was my first fruit wine so i'm pretty clueless on this! Thanks in advance.

I love damson wine and have just made another 15 gallon batch to more or less the same recipe as yours and yes - it tastes very sour! Don't worry. It will be fine. It just needs time - like all wine.
    Also, I think it drinks best as a medium wine so I sweeten it a little and that further reduces the astringency. Just remember to let it completely settle and then add sorbate (and sulphite) before adding any more sugar.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Ah great stuff, i'll be patient then, thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
      X