Which yeast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which yeast?

Hello again! Could anyone recommend what yeast would be best for Montepulciano d'abruzzo? I used Lalvin EC-118 last year and am very pleased with the results, but am confused as to why this is called a champagne yeast? Also in the spirit of experimentation, I'm always keen to try new things. Your list of yeast varieties in the tutorial section is a bit overwhelming.

EC-1118 tends to strip flavour out of the wine, but is reliable.

I think you would notice an improvement if you used K1V-1116 (reliable fermentation, fruity result) or RC-212 (may need to add nutrient, should result in a 'darker' flavour).

Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by Richm View Post
      Hello again! Could anyone recommend what yeast would be best for Montepulciano d'abruzzo? I used Lalvin EC-118 last year and am very pleased with the results, but am confused as to why this is called a champagne yeast? Also in the spirit of experimentation, I'm always keen to try new things. Your list of yeast varieties in the tutorial section is a bit overwhelming.
      EC-1118 Champagne originally was harvested from The Champagne region of France hence the name. It is the yeast strain that is dominant in that region.
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

I agree with Pete.
        RC–212 is a good pairing, also BDX but that is hard to get. Nutrition should not be a problem while the wine is on it skins, only add it if required. I have used RC 212 a lot and never ever needed it.

IMO K1V-1116 is best kept for parsnip wine
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks chaps. Have ordered some RC-212. Will also post some pictures of my newly constructed Acme destemming device when it is fully operational. OK, device is a little strong, contraption maybe!

Comment

See, being more of a mead person, I'm not a fan of EC-1118, apart from using it as a restart yeast.

I'm a big fan of K1-V1116 though. It does a fair old job on reds as well as whites. Though, like Brian, I do like BDX if it's fresh red grape.......

There's a few others I like too, but like the BDX, it has to be mail ordered from the US (D21 comes to mind).......
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
            X