Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with my pinot noir?

grape rot 2.jpggrape rot.jpg

Suddenly my pinot have started going rotten. It has been a damp few weeks, I've cut off most of the leaves.

Do I need to cut these bunches & discard, what about the rest? Any ideas welcome
    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Damp and temp fluctuations are causeing this .. Have you sprayed with copper sulphate ?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

By no means a deep expert on this but rather than powdery mildew (which tends to dust whole bunches) this looks more like Botrytis - where you get parts of a bunch rotting initially. It is caused as Brian says by all the humid weather. See here. http://pnwhandbooks.org/plantdisease/node/6085/print for suggestions on treatment etc. Treatments are limited. Are they anywhere near ready for harvesting?
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Thanks chums, yes, I think it's botrytis. Grapes should be 3 weeks from harvest, taste sour - thanks for the link. I suppose there's sugar missing which I can add. I could have a bash at harvesting early. Though I've just taken a look and it seems all the bunches have got it now.
        Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.

Comment

It's most certainly botrytis. Unfortunately, once it progresses to this point there isn't much to be done. Prevention starts early in the season.

When you are harvesting, you don't have to discard the entire bunch, just the damaged portion. Including the damaged fruit in the fermenter won't add anything of value to the finished wine.
          Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve, Simon, Brian - helpful as always.

65L Merlot pressed yesterday, montepulciano arrives next week!

Comment

Working...
            X