Sulphite for Red Grape Must

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulphite for Red Grape Must

I've just received some Italian Merlot grapes and I'm considering allowing these a few days to ferment on the 'wild' yeast before pitching my yeast starter (sic!). I will therefore not be sulphiting the freshly crushed must. My question is, should I add sulphite before adding the yeast starter? I was thinking of adding 50ppm SO2 after 2 or 3 days and then pitching the yeast starter a day later. I am concerned that I risk leaving potentialy troublemaking bacteria and other nasties if I don't add any sulphite at all. This would obviously preclude any concurrent MLF but I assume that MLF would still be viable after the msut has had a few days of fairly vigorous activity following the addition of the yeast starter.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Dave,

Assuming these are fresh grapes, and they appear to be in good shape (no mould, off smells, fruit flies, etc.), you should be alright foregoing SO2 in the short term. If it were me, I would initially leave the must sulphite free until the wild yeast take off. At that point, I would add a small dose of SO2, followed by your commercial yeast. The desired outcome is for the commercial yeast to start up as the wild strains begin to peter out.

Just be vigilant for off smells as certain wild yeast, such as kloeckera apiculata and candida pulcherrima, can release compounds that contribute to ethyl acetate (nail polish remover) formation. A little of that isn't bad, but a lot can permanently ruin your wine.

Good luck!
    Steve

Comment

Yeah - what Steve said. Although I wouldn't (and don't ever) add a small dose of SO2 before the commercial because it will affect malo (natural or innoculated).

Just be vigilent!! You will be fine. Carpet glue/nail varnish smell lasts for about 1 day and is much reduced with a BIG yeast innoc 20-30g/hl - or get is started separately ASAP.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
      X