Winexpert selection original Vieux chateau du roi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winexpert selection original Vieux chateau du roi

This kit arrived the other day along with another mid range Kenridge classic SB to get going today once I've got the Pinot Grigio and Barolo racked into their respective carbuoys. Busy cleaning and sanitising but looking forward to getting these on the go.

Jon

Just racked, and the Pinot Grigio had a soft scummy crust on top of the wine. This has only happened over night, before this when I last check there was nothing floating on the top. Should I be concerned at all? Sure I'm just being paranoid but can't remember since it's been a year since my last batch weather this is just the yeasties going into overdrive. Racked at 1.002. The Barolo which I started at the exact time and was sat next to it was already at 0.992.

Comment

The WE vieux is seriously foaming away on day 4 of primary. Overflowed out of the fermenting bucket last night. Read the instructions again and they recommend a 30ltr bucket which I hadn't noticed when I put this kit in a 25ltr bucket. Just incase anyone else is thinking of making a wine expert kit. You need the extra head space for fermentation foam. Another piece of kit I need to purchase.

Comment

It all sounds perfectly normal to me.
        Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve. This morning everything has settled down. Couple off days and I should be ready to rack into secondary stage. Was a lively one for 48hrs mind. Will defo get a bigger fermenter bucket for these kits. Haven't really experienced this before with the kenridge kits that Ive done in 25ltr buckets but maybe I was just lucky.

Comment

The WE Vieux is a seriously good kit. My storage conditions are subject to quite a bit of temperature fluctuation and for me it is at it's best at 18 months old.
            National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Thanks Richard. I was thinking of bulk aging this one initially but have never done this before. Would I be ok to do this in a better bottle carbuoy of should I invest in a glass one? Also this maybe a stupid question but is sodium metabisulphite the same as potassium metabisulphite when it comes to adding a 1\4 of a teaspoon prior to bottling if aging for more than 6 months?

Comment

Hi. I have had no problems bulk ageing in Better Bottles. I have wine that is 4 years old in them with no ill-effects, as do a number of others around here - we were drinking some splendid BB aged wine at Grapefest last weekend.

On the Sodium versus Potassium. To all intents and purposes they are the same. Use a 10% solution - so weigh out 10grams and make up to 100grams with water.
                In the US I believe that Sodium intake is restricted - I am sure some folk here can explain exactly why - so Potassium version is declared food safe. Either is OK in the UK. Also the Potassium version smells slightly less strong. I have a slight preference for Potassium.
                5ml of 10% solution (either k or NA meta) in 5 litres (c1 imp gallon) will give you approx. 50ppm free sulphur dioxide (SO2).
                Making the solution is infinitely preferable as you can be more accurate then using the powder (or Camden tablets) alone.
                Simon
                "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Thanks guys.

Tonight I racked the Vieux at 1.000 into secondry. Whilst I was at it I decided to do the Kenridge SB a day early as it was down to 0.994. But again I got a browny white sludge sitting on top, when yesterday there was nothing. What is it and is it normal?. Had the same thing with the Pinot grigio which I mentioned earlier after 6 days in the primary stage.

Jon

Comment

Well the Pinot and Barolo are in the process of clearing and coming along very nicely. Just placed an order for the Kenridge Showcase Amarone and classic viogier. Hopefully they should be here next week. So far alls good in the winery today.

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
                      On the Sodium versus Potassium. To all intents and purposes they are the same.
                      Sorry I do not agree. You can taste the difference. Using potassium metabisulphite was one of the biggest breakthroughs I made in early winemaking.
                      Potassium is more expensive and the choice of commercial wineries. They only use sodium metabisulphite for cleaning down, it never goes in the wine.
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

According to Tim Vandergrift (ex technical services manager of wineexpert) they are interchangeable, but sodium meta bisulphate is something like 8-13% more potent, and the reason they don't use sodium meta bisulphate in kits is the worry over sodium ( salt ) intake in the USA.

there have also been studies to show that below 100 ppm it is undetectable. As ever though there are exceptions and Brian seems to find he can taste the difference. It's like the " kit taste" debate, some people can detect it, others can't.
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                          According to Tim Vandergrift (ex technical services manager of wineexpert) they are interchangeable, but sodium meta bisulphate is something like 8-13% more potent, and the reason they don't use sodium meta bisulphate in kits is the worry over sodium ( salt ) intake in the USA.
                          Speaking of Tim, he was here in town just last week and I talked to him a bit. You're right that he's no longer with Winexpert. Seems he's now working as a paid consultant for several winemaking supply shops around the US and Canada, and still gives seminars on kit making. Sounds like he's also branching off into craft brew classes as well.
                          Steve

Comment

He has always preferred beer, I remember him bring a boot ( trunk ) full of beer to balustreri winery at wine fest 2005 ( he was also wearing a kilt and we got slightly hammered.)

but his advice on sulphite always was, don't worry about which you use, it doesn't matter.

he is working with your local guys mid-west I think too
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Amarone and Viogier now in their respective buckets. Cracked a bottle of the Pinot last night, 1 week after bottling and coming along nicely. Have to keep my hands off the rest.So far bottled 82 out the the 3 kits completed so far this month. The WE Vieaux Du Roi is in its final clearing stage after being racked a couple of days ago. Looking at doing a deal at my local brew store for a Showcase Chilean Malbec and Chenin Blanc. Have to find some more space to put it all. So far things going to plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X