Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-bottle priming

I need some advice from the brewers please:

I have a wherry kit which I had to rack to DJs before fermentation was complete (I was away for a couple of weeks and didn't want to leave it for that long with a big headspace, CO2 blanket or no CO2 blanket).

It has now fermented out, and I'm ready to bottle.

I need to prime before bottling (the kit says 90g but I found the last one a bit lively, so maybe 60g). I'd normally rack to a clean fermenter, prime there, then bottle. I'm aware that the beer has already been racked once, and I want to minimise the oxidation risk.

Would you still rack onto the sugar anyway, or would you rack directly into bottles and prime there? I can either weigh sugar per-bottle (tedious but I have an accurate gram scale) or make a sugar syrup and use a syringe.

Ta
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Here is what I would do Pete. I would measure the priming sugar into each bottle rack and bottle directly into the bottle keep you racking cane up high and only lower it as you need to, to keep from breaking siphon. This should keep the sediment out and minimize oxygen contact. Your beer should actually have less dropout in the bottle after allowing the beer to clear in the demijohn.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

I too would measure the priming sugar into each bottle - clip the racking in place above the sediment and gently fill each bottle from the bottom up.
      Cane caster sugar. A quick inversion mixes the sugar and tests the seal.

Zevro sugar depenser set at 1/2 tsp are good for the measuring job..

PS don't get paranoid about air - there is going to be an in bottle fermentation.
      Further I do not worry about the headspace - I have left AG's brews in primary for 6 weeks. See John J Palmer "How to brew" for comment
      Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 27-09-2014, 07:30 AM.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks both. All bottled now, with Mrs Goldseal on the gram-scales with the priming sugar (so therefore it is her fault if we have any bottle bombs )
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Gram Scales! weighing forty bottles will drive you mad

Make a volumetric measure like a powder cup. I used a syringe and a bit of fence wire, for a long time before getting a Zevro.

You have to be well wide of the mark to get bottle bombs.
          Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 29-09-2014, 07:57 AM.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

1 level teaspoon for lager and half level teaspoon for bitter old ales porters and stouts

my measures cost £1 at morrisons

i also rack before bottling so there is no danger of the racking cane disturbing sediment while I'm bottling. I am not concerned about the extra racking causing oxidation issues.

i like to concentrate on racking and bottling seperate lay so I make a proper job of both, otherwise I find wastage ensues

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Bob - Welcome to the Darkside - do I spy another using voice recognition ?

Either that or you have picked up a dudley accent "bottling seperate lay"
              Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 04-10-2014, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Lol
                not voice recognition, but predictive text on pad coupled with incompetence
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                X