Info about corks etc ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info about corks etc ?

during a moment of lucidity at GF14, I recall Bobski, Mr G and possibly Pete, discussing corks, the quality thereof etc.

Specifically, the ones that have small flat disc pieces "bonded" to the end, as if it's "across the grain" (if there can be such a thing with cork).......

It's looking like I'm gonna have to bottle my 2012 pyment and am checking stuff and mentally working out what I need.

Enolmatic ? check. Bottles ? check. Sanitiser ? check. Corks ? no, and I don't understand some of the various info about "quality" of those. Other than mention of differing qualities.

I'm intending on wax seals too, and the actual wax has been ordered.

So maybe someone has a link to a nice idiot guide to corks that I could read, or could explain what I'm looking for with the quality of cork ?

TVM.......
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

If you tell me your expectations as to longevity I will recommend for you what to buy. How long you plan on aging you wine is the main factor in cork choice.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Bang on RJB !! How long do you plan to keep it under cork?

Some good reading here - http://www.diam-closures.com/Diam-te...or-still-wines download the datasheets.

I am amazed how expensive quality corks seem to have suddenly become.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Well, it's been made 2 year's, so I'm thinking 3 to 5 years.

I'm going to wax.dip as well.

Cheers for the link Brian, it'll give me something to read and understand, hopefully........
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
          Well, it's been made 2 year's, so I'm thinking 3 to 5 years.

I'm going to wax.dip as well.

Cheers for the link Brian, it'll give me something to read and understand, hopefully........
          A nice website, but nothing to say where to buy/price etc.

So still rather in the dark about corks (other than them being made of cork and a few details about TCA)........

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Not used this place for a while, but they do have a good selection to look at and gawp at the prices!

Wide range of Corks. Create your own flavour, we'll help you on your way! Order now Corks from Brouwland.

Comment

Cheers Rich. Forgot to look at Brouwland. Found a place in Bath called corkstore, who do list different quality levels, but the thieving swine are quoting fantasy postage etc (no way in hell it costs a tenner to send 150 corks)........

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Longer the cork the longer it will last. In your case I would look at collimated or agglomerated 1 3/4 long These will do the job and be reasonably priced disk corks also would fall into this category but a little more expensive.

Comment

I have to say I'm not a fan of 100% agglomerated corks. Some of my first bottlings were sealed with these but, over the years, I've found them to be prone to leakage, crumbling, and mold. The type of closure used should be dependent on budget and how long one plans to cellar the wine. For white or fruit wine that I plan to drink within 1-3 years, I use synthetic Nomacorcs. For earlier drinking reds, say 2-5 years, I think the twin disk corks (we call them 1+1s here) are fine. Unlike the 100% agglomerates, the disks, which are made from single pieces of cork provide a protective barrier that slows down the deterioration of the agglomerated center. For long aging reds (10+ years), nothing beats a good quality solid natural cork, 1.75 to 2 inches (45-50 mm) in length. The less porous, the better.
                  Steve

Comment

Steve I have ask this were you soaking you corks? Soaking corks will break down the glue that holds these corks together leading to exactly the problems you describe.What type of agglomerated corks were you using? There are different qualities in these as with any other corks as well. These days the agglomerated corks are put together after being treated for molds so unless they are soaked molds are a non issue. I have to agree though with the disk corks being a much better closure for a very small price increase.

Comment

I've never soaked corks. It's the worst thing you can do to them.

I had some of these agglomerated corks where the wine seeped right through the cork and dripped onto the floor over a period of years, leaving the wine inside the bottle oxidized. Lesson learned. I just don't use them anymore.
                      Steve

Comment

Agree on all your points Steve. 1+1 are IMO the best compromise.
                        I will add storing them is sealed bags is also not good - they need to breathe.
                        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                        X